May 11 Current Affairs
May 11 – 20th National Technology Day
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, graced and addressed the National Technology Day Celebrations in New Delhi on May 11, 2018.
- It was on this day two decades ago that the Pokhran nuclear tests took place and demonstrated India’s capacity as a nuclear weapons state as well as a mature and responsible technology power, capable of harnessing sensitive knowledge.
14-volume commentary on century-old text by Jain Monk
- A Sanskrit text titled ‘Gudhartha Tatvaloka,’ written by Dharmadatt Jha (Bachcha Jha) a century ago, is widely considered a tough tome in Navya-nyaya (Neo-logical) discipline of Indian philosophy and logic, not only due to its language but also the ideas within.
Assam government urge for withdrawal of AFSPA
- The Assam government has decided to urge the Centre for withdrawal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act from parts of the state in phases and not at one go. The Act has been in force in the state for 28 years now.
- Assam will become the fourth state after Mizoram, Tripura and Meghalaya to lift the controversial legislation if the Centre gives its nod to the state government’s proposal. The Act is also currently enforced in parts of Arunachal and Manipur and the whole of Nagaland.
Maharashtra Day celebrated with an array of cultural programs
- In an event held for Maharashtra Day, Aurangabadkars got to witness various cultural performances from all over the state. On the occasion of MaharashtraDay, the early morning program was inaugurated by chief guest Vasudev Aala.
India Pavilion Inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival 2018
- The inaugural session of the Indian Pavilion at the Cannes Film Festival 2018 was held at Cannes, France.
After winning war against IS ,Iraq votes in first parliamentary election
- Iraq holds its first parliamentary election since declaring victory over the Islamic State (IS) group, with the country hoping to shore up a fragile peace as it looks to rebuild.
Janakpur -Ayodhya Direct Bus Service
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated a direct bus service between Janakpur and Ayodhya, the two sacred cities for Hindus.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Easy Financing Models Being Worked Upon to Promote Private Participation in Developing Inland Waterways
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) will involve banks for ensuring availability of financing options for the private players engaged in Inland Water Transport (IWT) sector. Financing and funding for Operation and Maintenance of IWT assets is a challenge for shippers, vessel operators and asset management firms as the banking sector is not yet ready with any customized financing option for the sector.
Iran sanctions may have impacts on oil imports to India
- S. President Donald Trump announced that his country would pull out from the Iran nuclear deal and reimpose sanctions on Tehran. India is the second largest buyer of Iranian oil, after China. It is expected to be hit by the comprehensive sanctions regime, which also affects countries that deal with Iran.
Chinese medical device maker Lepu in India
- Chinese medical device maker Lepu Medical Technology (Beijing) Co. has entered the Indian market through a subsidiary and is keen to explore opportunities for local manufacturing as well as collaborations.
Reserve Bank bars Dena Bank from lending, hiring
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has barred State-run lender Dena Bank from extending fresh credit in view of deteriorating financial health due to mounting non-performing assets (NPAs). In addition, the lender has also been barred from recruiting staff.
Trump administration cancels NASA plan to track greenhouse gases
- A NASA program that cost $10 million per year to track carbon and methane, key greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming, has been cancelled.
- The end of the programme — called the Carbon Monitoring System (CMS) — which tracked sources and sinks for carbon and made high-resolution models of the planet’s flows of carbon — was first reported by the journal Science.
Nature enthusiasts spot rare butterflies unseen for decades
- The species was being photographed for the first time in history, and being sighted for the first time in India since 1917.
- The black windmill butterfly Byasa crassipes in Arunachal Pradesh’s Dibang Valley in the Lower Dihang Valley district.
MoU’s, CABINET APPROVALS
India signs 7 MoUs with Myanmar
- Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj and Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi witnessed signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in Myanmar’s Nay Pyi Taw on Friday. India and Myanmar signed seven Memorandums of Understandings (MOUs)
- India and Myanmar also concluded the Agreement on Land Border Crossing, which will allow people from both sides to cross the border with passport and visa for health and educational needs and tourism.
Capital – Naypyidaw
President – Win Myint
State Counsellor – Aung San Suu Kyi
Currency – Kyat
Exercise Harimau Shakti 2018 Closing Ceremony
- Exercise Harimau Shakti 2018 between Indian and Malaysian Armies concluded with a Closing Ceremony at the tropical rainforests of Hulu Langat on 11 May 2018.
Joint Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) Surveillance of Maldives
- Indian Naval (IN) ship Sumedha, a Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel (NOPV), has been deployed to undertake joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives from 09 to 17 May 18, as part of Indian Navy’s ‘Mission Based Deployments’.
NDMA reviews preparedness of States to counter heat wave and lightning
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) conducted a meeting with 17 heat wave-prone States here to review their preparedness and mitigation measures. In view of the recent incidents of thunderstorm and lightning, preparedness measures relating to these hazards were also assessed.
KISS Humanitarian Award 2018
- Nobel laureate and noted economist Muhammad Yunus who is the founder of Grameen Bank and known as the Father of Microfinance was honoured with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018
Munu Mahawar appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman
- Shri Munu Mahawar (IFS: 1996), presently Joint Secretary at Headquarters, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman.
Nadal breaks record in Madrid Open
- Rafael Nadal broke John McEnroe’s record of 49 straight sets won on the same surface by beating Diego Schwartzman 6-3, 6-4 in the third round of the Madrid Open.
Robert Lewandowski heads Poland’s preliminary World Cup squad
- Robert Lewandowski and Wojciech Szczesny are set to make their World Cup debuts after being included in Poland’s preliminary squad. Poland has named 35 players in its squad as it prepares for its first World Cup appearance since 2006.