- Trade ministers from various countries including Australia, Japan and Switzerland met for an informal WTO ministerial gathering in Davos, Switzerland. India was represented by Deepak Jagdish Saksena, ambassador and permanent representative to the WTO.
- India announced that it will host an informal WTO Ministerial gathering in March 2018. The meeting would be held in New Delhi on March 19-20
- WTO– World Trade Organisation
2.Tai Tzu Ying Of Taiwan Wins Indonesian Masters
- The world no.1 Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan has defeated Saina Nehwal in the finals of the Indonesia Masters in Jakarta.
- Tai Tzu has now defeated the former world No.1 nine times in their last 10 meetings. Saina had enjoyed early success against the Taiwanese till 2011 but the Nehwal has beaten her only once at the 2013 Swiss Open ever since.
- Indonesia Capital- Jakarta
- Currencey- Indonesian rupiah
3. China shifts stance, offers to open talks with India on CPEC
- India has objected to CPEC which passes through Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK), as violation of its sovereignty.China with India to resolve differences on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), opening the door for removing a major irritant in New Delhi-Beijing ties.
- “We are ready to work with Indian side through dialogue and communication for a better solution. This best serves the interests of the two countries,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said, when asked to comment on remarks on CPEC by India’s ambassador to China, Gautam Bambawale.
- China President – Xi Jinping
- China Prime minister – Li Keqiang
4.Tamil Nadu government partially reduces bus fare
- The Tamil Nadu government on Sunday announced a partial rollback of bus fares after it came under attack from the opposition and commuters over the January 19 steep hike in fares.
- A notification issued by the State Transport department said the reduced fares in all the eight State Transport Corporations (STCs) including the Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) in Chennai would come into effect from Monday morning.
- O. Panneerselvam – Deputy Chief Minister (TN)
- Banwarilal Purohit – TN Governor
5. Recovery will lift growth to 7-7.5%,’ says CEA Arvind Subramanian
- The economy is set to grow at 7-7.5% in the next financial year on the back of reviving exports and investment even as the negative effects of demonetisation and the teething troubles of the Goods and Services Tax recede, Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian said in the Economic Survey 2018.
- The Survey, tabled in Parliament by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Monday (January 29), further predicted that GDP growth in the current financial year would touch 6.75%, higher than the 6.5% estimated by the Central Statistics Office.
6. Grammy Awards 2018- Complete List Of Winners
- The 60th Annual Grammy Awards, honoring the best achievements from October 2016 to September 2017 were held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, the USA. James Corden was the host of the ceremony for the second year in a row.
- It was Bruno Mars’ night at the Grammy Awards held in New York, with the three biggest wins – Album Of The Year and Record Of The Year for 24K Magic and Song Of The Year for ‘That’s What I Like’.
7. Economic Survey 2018
- The Economic Survey, an annual publication of the Finance Ministry, is presented in both houses of Parliament during the Budget Session. It is a review of the developments in the country’s economy over the previous one year. It presents a summary of the performance of the government’s major development programmes undertaken during that period. It also details the main policy initiatives of the government.
- We will be covering The Economic Survey from Examination’s Point of View to help you remember all the important points in a simple and easy manner. Economic Survey 2018
8. Sandeep Lamichhane Becomes 1st Nepal Player To Get IPL Contract
- Sandeep Lamichhane became the first cricketer from Nepal to land a deal an IPL contract. He was picked by Delhi Daredevils in the player’s auction. The 17-year-old, the only Nepal player in the IPL auction, was sold at his base price of Rs 20 lakh.
- The leg-spinner rose to prominence with a successful outing at the 2016 U-19 World Cup where he guided Nepal to a creditable eighth place. He hogged the limelight by becoming the second-highest wicket-taker in the tournament with 14 scalps in six innings