Important Events Of June 09
Birth Anniversary of Kiran Bedi
- Kiran Bedi (born 9 June 1949) is a retired Indian Police Service officer, social activist, former tennis player and politician who is the current Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.
- She is the first woman to join the Indian Police Service (IPS). She remained in service for 35 years before taking voluntary retirement in 2007 as Director General, Bureau of Police Research and Development.
- As a teenager, Bedi became the national junior tennis champion in 1966. Between 1965 and 1978, she won several titles at national and state-level championships.
- After joining IPS, Bedi served in Delhi, Goa, Chandigarh and Mizoram. She started her career as an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) in Chanakyapuri area of Delhi, and won the President’s Police Medal in 1979.
- Next, she moved to West Delhi, where she brought a reduction in crimes against women. Subsequently, as a traffic policeofficer, she oversaw traffic arrangements for the 1982 Asian Games in Delhi and the 1983 CHOGM meet in Goa.
- As DCP of North Delhi, she launched a campaign against drug abuse, which evolved into the Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation (renamed to Navjyoti India Foundation in 2007).
- On 22 May 2016, Bedi was appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.
Birth Anniversary of George Stephenson
(Father Of Railways) (9 June 1781 – 12 August 1848)
George Stephenson was an engineer. He built steam locomotives for the first railways. Sometimes people call him ‘the Father of the Railway‘. George Stephenson was born in 1781.
- George Stephenson was a British civil engineer and mechanical engineer. Renowned as the “Father of Railways”, Stephenson was considered by the Victorians a great example of diligent application and thirst for improvement.
- Self-help advocate Samuel Smiles particularly praised his achievements. His rail gauge of 4 feet 8 1⁄2 inches (1,435 mm), sometimes called “Stephenson gauge”, is the standard gauge by name and by convention for most of the world’s railways.
- Pioneered by Stephenson, rail transport was one of the most important technological inventions of the 19th century and a key component of the Industrial Revolution.
- Built by George and his son Robert’s company Robert Stephenson and Company, the Locomotion No. 1 is the first steam locomotive to carry passengers on a public rail line, the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1825.
- George also built the first public inter-city railway line in the world to use locomotives, the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, which opened in 1830.
World Toys Day
‘World Toy Day‘ is celebrated every 2nd Saturday of June Month. Today’s popular toys, including Barbie dolls, bear toys, cartoon character toys, adventure humans. Adults will give toys to their children, not even their relatives, friends and children. Children also enjoy a few toys in their dolls collection for kids who do not have dolls.
The World Doll Day is celebrated in the year 1986.
To Know All Daily Events – Click Here
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|