Ministry of Earth Sciences Schemes
- Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS) scheme was recently approved by the Cabinet Committee.
- It is an umbrella scheme with 9 sub schemes.
- Its objective is to provide a reliable weather and climate forecast for betterment of society.
- It pertains to the atmospheric science programs of the MoES and addresses different aspects of weather and climate services, which includes warnings for cyclone, storm surges, heat waves, thunderstorms etc.
- Each of the above aspects is incorporated as 9 sub-schemes under the umbrella scheme “ACROSS”.
- The schemes will be implemented in an integrated manner by 4 institutes –
- India Meteorological Department (IMD),
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM),
- National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), and
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Service (INCOIS)
- Ocean Services, Technology, Observations, Resources Modelling and Science (O-SMART) is an umbrella scheme for the development of ocean activities.
- It encompasses a total of 16 sub-projects addressing ocean development activities by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Its implementation period is from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- It aimed at stepping up ocean research and setting up early warning weather systems.
- The important deliverables under the scheme are,
- Strengthening of ocean observations, modelling, ocean services for fishermen,
- Setting up marine coastal observatories for tracking marine pollution in 2018,
- Setting up Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion Plant (OTEC) in Kavaratti in Lakshadweep.
- Setting up of the state-of-the-art Early Warning Systems to deal with ocean disasters like tsunami,
- The technologies developed under this Scheme will help in harnessing the vast ocean resources of both living and non-living resources from the seas.
- Sagar Vani is an integrated information dissemination system that primarily serves fishermen community with advisories and alerts towards their livelihood as well as their safety at Sea.
- The information to be disseminated is given by INCOIS under Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
- Services will be disseminated in local languages using advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities.
- It uses power of television and cable network mediums for alert dissemination services.
- The system also has the facility to provide access to various stakeholders, NGOs, State Fishery Departments, Disaster Management Authorities to further disseminate these information and alerts.
Gramin Krishi Mausam Seva
- The scheme is implemented by India Meteorological Department in collaboration with State Agricultural Universities /Indian Council of Agricultural Research etc.
- It issues crop and location specific weather based agro advisories for the benefit of farming community.
- The Agro-meteorological Advisory Services (AAS) under the GKMS is operated to prepare biweekly weather based bulletins.
- The information is transmitted through multimedia channels and SMS to help farmers plan farm operations accordingly.