May 7 Current Affairs
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) Raising Day – 07 May 2018
Florence Nightingale Award
- Byagari Vijaya Lakshmi, an Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) at the primary health centre (PHC) in Kandi, has been selected for the Florence Nightingale Award for 2018.
Versova-Bandra Sea Link Project in Mumbai
- Anil Ambani led Reliance Infrastructure along with world’s third largest construction player in building bridges, Astaldi S.p.A (Italy) have bagged the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for the 17.17 kilometres (km) Versova-Bandra Sea Link Project in Mumbai for Rs.6993.99 crore.
First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities’ in Bhopal
- The two-day conference is being organised for providing a platform for cross learning and knowledge sharing among the Smart City CEOs on 8-9 May 2018.
- Under “Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karykram” (PMJVK), the Minority Affairs Ministry will construct schools, colleges, ITIs, skill development centres, multi-purpose community centres “Sadbhav Mandap”, “Hunar Hub”, hospitals, business centres etc on waqf properties across the country.
- This will be for the first time after the Independence of the country.
1st Sensitization Meeting of Stakeholders to make Delhi a Model Accessible City
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is having the commitment to uphold the rights of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) and to ensure the accessible and inclusive assets are created in the country.
NITI Aayog and Google sign SoI to help grow AI ecosystem in India
- Aiming to foster growth for India’s nascent artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) ecosystem, NITI Aayog and Google have come together to work on a range of initiatives to help build the AI ecosystem across the country.
100 additional One Stop Centres(OSCs) approved
- 100 additional One Stop Centres have been approved by Ministry of Women and Child Development in the States of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- The purpose of these OSCs is to facilitate integrated services for women affected with violence such as police assistance, medical aid, psycho-social counselling, legal aid/counselling, temporary stay for 5 days etc.
- Women’s Helpline – 181 has now become operational in 30 States/UTs.
National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan)
- The POSHAN (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan was launched by the Prime Minister on 8th March 2018 at Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan.
- The Government of India signed a loan deal worth $ 200 million with the World Bank on 07.05.2018 for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan). The loan would help the Government of India in achieving its goal of reducing stunting in children 0-6 years of age from 38.4% to 25% by the year 2022.
- The loan approved will support the first phase scale up to 315 districts across all states and union territories (UTs).
Prime Minister Modi reviewed the launch of the ambitious Health Assurance programme under Ayushman Bharat.
- The scheme will provide a cover of upto Rs. 5 lakh per family. It will be targeted to cover over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families.
- On the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti, the Prime Minister had inaugurated the first ‘Health and Wellness Centre’ under Ayushman Bharat, in the aspirational district of Bijapur in Chhattisgarh.
Students from Ten ASEAN Countries Interact With Chief Election Commissioner of India
- The Chief Election Commissioner of India Shri Om Prakash Rawat interacted with 250 students from ten ASAEN Countries (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) visiting India as part of the Indo-ASEAN students exchange programme under the aegis of Ministry of External Affairs.
Putin becomes President for 4th time, says improving economy will be priority in new six-year term
- Vladimir Putin took the oath of office for his fourth term as Russian President on 07.05.2018
Singapore likely to host Trump-Kim summit in June
- S. President Donald Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un are likely to meet in Singapore next month the first between a sitting U.S. President and a North Korean leader
New telecom policy’s $100 billion investment estimate conservative
- The government’s plan to attract $100 billion (about Rs.6.5 lakh crore) investment in the telecom sector by 2022 is conservative.
- ‘National Digital Communications Policy 2018’ — aims to create 40 lakh jobs by 2022, attract $100 billion investment in the sector and ensure broadband coverage at 50 mbps for every citizen.
Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notifies the Protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
Currency – Kuwaiti dinar
Capital – Kuwait City
Emir – Sabah Ahmad al-Sabah
Crown prince – Nawaf Ahmad al-Sabah
Prime Minister – Jaber Mubarak al-Sabah
Indian teen’s satellite soars in Mexico sky
- Anitha-SAT, a lightweight satellite developed by a 17-year-old Plus Two pass out student Villet Oviya of Tiruchi, to measure the effects of air pollution and global warming, was launched from Aztra Labs in Mexico City on 07.05.2018
Australia pledges US$34-million to help save the koala
- Australia unveiled a US$34-million plan to help bring its koala population back from the brink, following a rapid decline in the furry marsupial’s fortunes.
Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting
- Olympic medallist Gagan Narang made a fine comeback to the 10m air rifle event as he combined with young Pooja Ghatkar to win the mixed team silver medal in the Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition in Pilsen, Czech Republic.
South Asian Junior Athletics Championships
- India finished on top in the seven-nation competition with 20 gold, 22 silver and eight bronze medals.