May 22 – International Day for Biodiversity (IBD) 2018
Theme – “Celebrating 25 years of action on biodiversity”
- To raise awareness about the importance of and threats to biodiversity, while highlighting its contribution to sustainable development.
- National-Level Celebrations held in Hyderabad.
Annual Summer Fiesta for Vacationing Children of Delhi NCR region
- The Summer Fiesta is an annual event for children in the age group of 5-16 years to provide them learning opportunities in the world of Innovation, Curiosity and Happiness and to utilize their summer vacation through various creative activities.
- The Festival will run from 23rd May-22nd June, 2018.
Mumbai-Pune e-way: motorists will have to pay toll till 2045
- Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) said the toll period is being increased by 15 years to fund the ‘missing link’ project.
- According to the government’s toll policy, the toll is revised every three years at 6% per annum. The earlier deadline for toll collection was 2030.
- By 2045, the one-way toll for cars between the two cities would be a little over Rs.1,000.
Pushkaram in Tamirabharani after 144 years
- The State government on Monday reviewed the arrangements to be made for conducting Pushkaram on the banks of the Tamirabharani in Tirunelveli district in October this year “after a gap of 144 years”.
Lake revival project goes to the outskirts in Mysuru
- ‘Mysuru Water Positive by 2021’, an initiative of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Mysuru and the district administration, aims to bring industry bodies together to drive rejuvenation and conservation of lakes in and around Mysuru.
- The rejuvenation of the one-acre of Kempegowdana Katte lake is being funded by the State Bank of India, as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
ONGC operations in Nagayalanka
- ONGC Chairman and Managing Director Sashi Shanker will inaugurate the Early Production System (EPS) in the site near the Bhavadevarapalli village flagging off the Rs.6,804-project in the Krishna-Godavari basin.
- The crude oil drilling operation by the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) will begin in the Nagayalanka block in Krishna district.
India to attend SCO meet on counter-terror in Pakistan
- India is likely to send senior representatives to discuss legal modalities of counter-terrorism for a meeting that Pakistan will host along with the members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)-Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (SCO-RATS) that will be meeting in Islamabad from May 23 to 25.
Status of Conservation of Select Aquatic Species
- The first-of-its-kind report “Status of Conservation of Select Aquatic Species” have been prepared by Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Dehradun as part of the “Biodiversity Conservation and Ganga Rejuvenation” project being sponsored by National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under the aegis of the Namami Gange programme.
- The project aims to develop a science-based aquatic species restoration plan for Ganga by involving multiple stakeholders.
- Species observed – Siebold’s smooth scaled water snake (Enhydris sieboldii), were after a gap of 70 years in river Ganga; Indian Skimmer (Rhynchops albicolis), a globally threatened bird.
Giant Chinese salamander speeding towards extinction
- The world’s largest amphibians, giant Chinese salamanders, were once thought to be widespread but now face imminent extinction due to illegal poaching and hunting as a luxury food.
China launches relay satellite to explore far side of moon
- China launched a relay satellite as part of a groundbreaking programme to be the first to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon later this year. The satellite, lofted into space aboard a Long March-4C rocket, will facilitate communication between controllers on Earth and the Chang’e 4 mission, the China National Space Administration.
- China hopes to become the first country to soft-land a probe on the moon’s far side, also known as the dark side because it faces away from the earth and is comparatively unknown.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
MCX launches India’s first copper options
- Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd. (MCX) launched India’s first options contract on copper futures.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Regional Conference on “Clean and Renewable Energy”
- One day Regional Conference on “Clean and Renewable Energy” as a lead up event to 3rd Annual Meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank(AIIB) held in Bhopal.
‘Nai Rahen, Nai Manzilen’
- The state government has inaugurated the ‘Nai Rahen, Nai Manzilen’ scheme to expand the opportunities for tourism in the Himachal Pradesh.
Model Contract Farming Act
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh releases Model Agriculture Produce and Livestock Contract Farming and Services (Promotion & Facilitation) Act, 2018.
- To integrate farmers with bulk purchasers including exporters, agro- industries etc. for better price realization through mitigation of market and price risks to the farmers and ensuring smooth agro raw material supply to the agro industries
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- “Intrapreneurship and Management for Farmer Producer Companies” – Grant Thornton
Police Medals for Gallantry and Meritorious Services to the BSF
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh presented the Police Medals for Gallantry and Meritorious Services to the BSF personnel at an Investiture Ceremony. Out of the 14 Police Medals for Gallantry, four were awarded posthumously.
- Arsenal new manager – Unai Emery
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, (IIM-K) – Debashis Chatterjee
APP & WEBPORTAL
Model Code of Conduct Violation Reporting App
- Made available for the first time in Bengaluru in the run-up to the recently concluded Karnataka Assembly polls.
- To share evidence of malpractice by political parties, their candidates and activists ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, directly with the electoral body.
- Harry Kane named England’s Football World Cup captain in Russia
Indian shooters set to compete in ISSF World Cup in Munich
- Manu Bhaker, Heena Sidhu and Jitu Rai will spearhead India’s challenge at the ISSF World Cup — the final competitive outing for rifle and pistol shooters before the Asian Games and World Championships starting in Munich.