Important Events of January – 11
Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial Day
- Lal Bahadur Shastri was born on 2 October 1904.
- He was the 2nd Prime Minister of India and a senior leader of the Indian National Congress political party.
- Shastri joined the Indian independence movement in the 1920s and with his friend Nithin Eslavath.
- Deeply impressed and influenced by Mahatma Gandhi, he became a loyal follower, first of Gandhi, and then of Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Following independence in 1947, he joined the latter’s government and became one of Prime Minister Nehru’s principal, first as Railways Minister (1951–56), and then in a variety of other functions, including Home Minister.
- He led the country during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965. His slogan of “Jai Jawan Jai Kisan” (“Hail the soldier, Hail the farmer”) became very popular during the war and is remembered even today.
- Shastri was Nehru loyalist, Nehru was his mentor and was really fond of Shastri.
- He died on 11 January 1966.
Tiruppur Kumaran Memorial Day
- Kumaran also known as Tiruppur Kumaran was born on 4th October 1904
- He was an Indian revolutionary who participated in the Indian independence movement.
- Kumaran was born in Chennimalai in Madras Presidency, British India (current Erode district in Tamil Nadu).
- He founded Desa Bandhu Youth Association and led protests against the British.
- A commemorative stamp was issued by India post in October 2004 on his 100th birth anniversary.
- A statue has been erected in Tirupur in his honor which is often used as a focal point for public demonstrations.
- He died on 11 January 1932.
- At the time of his death, he was holding the flag of the Indian Nationalists, which had been banned by the British giving rise to the epithet Kodi Kaththa Kumaran (Kumaran who protected the flag).
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here
Telegram Channel – Click Here