Important Current Affairs November 8 One liner
80th anniversary of “Kristallnacht”
- On May 15, 1939, the ocean liner MS St. Louis departed Germany and crossed the Atlantic with 907 German Jews aboard, desperate for refuge from persecution.
- Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has apologised in parliament for Canada’s refusal to admit Jewish asylum seekers fleeing Nazi Germany just months before the outbreak of World War II.
- Election Commission has set up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in Chhattisgarh to encourage women voters to exercise their franchise in the Assembly elections.
- ‘Sangwari’ means friend.
- In J&K, Srinagar witnessed the coldest night of the season with the mercury settling below the freezing point for the first time at minus 2.2 degrees Celsius.
- Kargil was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir registering the minimum of minus 9.0 degrees Celsius.
- The West Bengal government has decided to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on November 14, to commemorate the first anniversary of the State’s famous sweet getting Geographical Indication (GI) tag as ‘Bengal’s Rosogolla’.
- The United States has granted Iraq a waiver to allow it to keep importing electricity from neighbouring Iran.
- Taiwan commissioned a pair of guided missile frigates that are expected to boost the island’s ability to counter Chinese submarines amid rising military threats from Beijing.
- In the United States Midterm elections, opposition Democrats have captured the House of Representatives while President Donald Trump’s Republican Party retains its majority in the Senate.
- The United Nations Postal System has issued stamps with ‘Diyas’ lamps to mark the celebration of Diwali.
- The World Health Organization and Ugandan Ministry of Health, have begun vaccinating frontline health workers in the country against Ebola.
- The Reserve Bank of India liberalised the norms governing foreign borrowings for infrastructure creation.
- Australia announced up to 2.18 billion US dollars in grants and cheap loans to Pacific countries for building infrastructure.
- The Ministry of Defence has delegated greater financial decision-making powers to Vice Chiefs of the three Services.