Daily Current Affairs June 24, 2022
Dinkar Gupta is appointed Director General, NIA
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) appointed former Punjab Director General of Police (DGP) Dinkar Gupta as the Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- The 1987 batch IPS officer, Gupta, has been given the charge up to March 31, 2024– the date of his superannuation– or till further orders whichever take place.
- Gupta served as Punjab DGP from 2019 till October last year, when he was removed by the by the Charanjit Singh Channi-led government from his post and made the chairman of Punjab Police Housing Board.
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Vini Mahajan, his wife, who was the Chief Secretary of Punjab during the tenure of Capt. Singh was appointed as Secretary, Ministry of Jal Shakti, in January this year. Mr. Gupta and Ms. Mahajan had earned the sobriquet of being a “power couple” during Capt. Singh’s tenure as CM.
Minister launches scheme for distribution of cloth to physically challenged persons
- If one of the bride and groom is a physically challenged in the last 2021-2022 legislature grant request, no fee will be charged for the wedding that will take place for them at the temple.
- Notice was also issued that only the maintenance fee for the hall would be charged if the wedding took place in the wedding hall owned by the temple. Accordingly, weddings for the disabled are being held in temples and halls.
- In this context, the Legislature in the year 2022-2023 announced that the bride and groom will be given puttadas on behalf of the temple at consecrated weddings held in temples and halls owned by the temple in response to the grant request.
- Minister of Hindu Religious Affairs PK Sekarbabu on Thursday inaugurated a program to provide puttadas to brides at weddings of persons with disabilities at the Vadapalani Lord’s Temple in Chennai.
Anil Kumar Tulsiani has taken charge as Director (Finance) of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Shri Anil Kumar Tulsiani has taken charge as Director (Finance) of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) on 20th June, 2022.
- Shri Tulsiani joined SAIL in 1988 in the company’s Durgapur Steel Plant (DSP) as Junior Manager (Finance).
- Tulsiani became the Executive Director, (F&A) in SAIL before taking over as the Director (Finance) of the company. He carries an experience of almost 34 years in various areas of Finance and Accounting in different Plants/Units of SAIL viz., Raw Materials Division (RMD), Durgapur Steel Plant (DSP), Central Marketing Organization (CMO) and Corporate Office (CO).
- Shri Tulsiani is a Graduate in Commerce, Cost & Management Accountant (CMA) and MBA (Finance). He had achieved All-India l5th Rank in the Final Examination of CMA Course conducted by the then Institute of Cost & Works Accountants of India (now known as ICAI).
- He also played a key role in preparation of the Cost Manual for SAIL Mines. Meanwhile, he continued with the zeal to upgrade himself and completed his MBA (Financial Management) in 2000.
- Shd Tulsiani took a number of key initiatives during his tenure at DSP, including smooth transition to GST and systems improvement in Procurement/Contracts at DSP.
South Indian Bank launches EXIM trade portal, SIB TF Online
- South Indian Bank has launched a new portal called ‘SIB TF Online’ for its corporate EXIM customers.
- The portal facilitates a platform for trade-related payments to foreign entities remotely.
- The customer can initiate the payment request over SIB TF Online after uploading the relevant supporting documents for the transaction.
- The bank plans to launch SIB TF Online in phases.
- In the subsequent phases, the portal would facilitate all other forex transactions as well. SIB TF Online has been hosted on the home page of Corporate Internet Banking (SIBerNet) and would allow corporates to transact 24×7, in a safe and paperless manner.
- Thomas Joseph, Executive Vice President & Group Business Head of South Indian Bank said “we are developing the portal in various phases and the first phase will enable and accommodate import transactions. We plan to enable the portal to facilitate other forex transactions in future phases.”
GST council to approve 6th e-invoice generation portal
- New Delhi The government is increasing the number of portals for registering e-invoices from just one to six as it takes the digital route to check indirect tax collection leakages for the Goods and Services Tax Council meeting next week.
- The initiative is in the backdrop of higher monthly GST revenue collections. However, only half of the applicable GSTINs were generating invoices. It will therefore address problems of scaling and load balancing due to expanding the scope of e-invoicing compliance to taxpayers of lower turnover categories.
- The portals are the latest step in a move to expand the scope of e-invoicing beginning with making it mandatory for companies with a revenue of ₹500 crore in 2020, the criteria is now down to businesses with ₹20 crore revenue.
- Having benefited from burgeoning tax revenue as a result of enforcement and compliance measures, the government is now expanding the e-invoicing infrastructure to facilitate higher volumes of transactions as its scope widens going forward.
- The e-invoicing infrastructure needs expansion since it will allow a higher quantum of transactions at faster speeds. Further, the government aims to plug GST revenue leakages by adopting the digital routes, one of them is by introducing five different e-invoice portals for taxpayers.
- In addition, GSTN has listed four more companies to set up Invoice Registration Portals (IRPs) – Cygnet InfoPath, IRIS Business Services, Defmacro Software (Cleartax), and EY LLP. The development will be informed to the GST Council in the meeting to be held next week. The second NIC portal proposed in the meeting will be taken up for approval by the Council.
- While private e-invoicing portals must mandatorily provide free e-invoice registration service to businesses, they may be allowed to provide additional services to customers for a fee.
India slipped to third spot among EM peers in starting of July
- With a composite score of 65, the Philippines topped the EM league table in May.
- Russia emerged second, followed by India at the third spot.
- India outpaced emerging market (EM) peers on economic recovery as the second covid-19 wave subsided and business sentiment improved.
- However, surging crude oil prices have played spoilsport in recent weeks, undoing the gains from the festive mood and pushing India to the third position in Mint’s emerging markets tracker in October.
- The Philippines topped the EM table buoyed by robust manufacturing mactivity and strong GDP growth. The Philippine peso, though down against the dollar, performed fairly better than other peers amid global turmoil.
- Russia stood second despite the war with Ukraine and sanctions impacting economic activity. This was mainly on account of a sharp month-on-month rise in market capitalisation due to low base effect.
- India fell from the first rank the previous month as its stock market performance turned out to be one of the worst in May. Weak rupee and elevated inflation also proved to be drags.
Modi places merit on premium, appoints Deka as DIB, extends Goel as RAW chief
- By appointing Tapan Deka as Director Intelligence Bureau and extending Secretary RAW Samant Goel term by one more year,The Modi government has indicated that it wants to build operations capability of intelligence agencies rather than analyses.
- The extensions were cleared by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet, the official order said.
- Both IPS officers are of the 1984 batch and hold the rank of Director General.
- Goel is from the Punjab cadre while Kumar is from the Assam-Meghalaya cadre.
Intel India opens new design and engineering centre in Bengaluru
- Intel India on Friday announced the expansion of its design and engineering centre in India with the opening of a new facility in Bengaluru.
- The company’s new centre has 4.53 lakh sq. ft of space across two towers that can house 2,000 employees and it aims for enhanced engineering work in client, data centre, IoT, graphics, artificial intelligence, and automotive segments.
- “In order to enable India’s aspiration to become a trillion-dollar digital economy by 2025, it’s imperative for the country to accelerate the pace of digitalization with focus on innovation and engineering excellence across semiconductor product design, including hardware and software,” said Chandrasekhar.
- The India design center is the second largest globally. Intel has invested over USD 8 billion in India to date and continues to expand its R&D and innovation footprint in the country.
Payas Jain and Bodhistawa Chaudhury Wins under 19 and 17 in Youth National Table Tennis Championship
- Alappuzha, June 2022 (UNI) Delhi’s Payas Jain defeated statemate Yashansh Malik 4-3 to successfully defend his Youth Boys Under 19 singles title in the 83rd Junior and Youth National Table Tennis Championships at the YMCA facilities .
- The win was worth Rs. 72,000 in prize money
- In the match between Payas and Yashansh, playing for Delhi together, they knew each other for 10 years, and it was not surprising that they tookthe match to the seventh game. But what surprised everyone was the way Yashansh got his shots so well to put Payas in all sorts of trouble.
- The big rallies and service winners dominated the final. Payas should have sealed the match when he led 5-1 in the sixth game but Yashansh staged a remarkable comeback to take it to the decider. In the last game, he led 3-1 before Yashansh changedsides at 5-4.
- But Payas allowed him just a point before finishing in style when he got going with his backhand flips that fetched him a good number of points.
- Preyesh Raj Suresh struck form in the quarterfinals and semifinals to enter the final in the Under-17 Youth Boys section.
- Though dropped the next game, the Tamil Nadu boy wrapped it up before any further hiccup to post a 4-1 triumph. But the Manipuri lad did exceedingly well to come back in the quarterfinals.
- Bodhisatwa Chaudhury from West Bengal, too, dropped one game in the middle, but Shlok Bajaj of Gujarat could not make any headway. Bodhisatwa showed patience and variety on the table, which won him many admirers.
- However, last night most of the seeded players in both sections exited earlier than expected jeopardising their selection chances and leaving the national selectors in a fix.
World Vitiligo Day
- June 25th is a day of celebration of our lives and our community. Over the years, its purpose has broadened from simply raising awareness of vitiligo to include recognition of the bullying, social neglect, psychological trauma and disability of nearly 100 million of people affected by vitiligo. We want June 25th to be recognized by the United Nations as World Vitiligo Day.
- The first World Vitiligo Day was held in 2011 and has since become an annual, global event.
- The campaign was born from the determination of non-profit organizations VR Foundation (USA) and VITSAF (Nigeria), and their supporters across the world, to bring this skin disease into the public eye, and to shine a light on challenges faced by those suffering from vitiligo.
- It was celebrated in memory of late King of Pop Michael Jackson, who suffered from vitiligo and died on 25th June 2009.
- This 2022 year theme for World Vitiligo Day 2022 is “Learning to Live With Vitiligo” .
- There are many treatment options available for vitiligo, but unfortunately, there is no cure. Some available Vitiligo treatments are:
- Camouflage therapy
- Repigmentation therapy
- Light therapy
|To Follow Our Instagram||Click Here|
|To Follow Our Twitter||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|
|To Join Our Facebook||Click Here|