Daily Current Affairs – July 11, 2019
JULY 11 – World Population Day
- World Population Day, which seeks to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues, was established by the then-Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989. This year’s World Population Day calls for global attention to the unfinished business of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development.
Restoration of Ghodbunder Fort
- The restoration of the 18th century Ghodbunder Fort in Thane, built by the Portuguese, will start next month and likely be completed by 2020. Under the state’s adopt a monument scheme, the fort has been adopted by the Mira Bhayander Municipal Corporation, which will also oversee the job of restoring the fort.
- The fort was built by the Portuguese in 1730 and was later captured by the Marathas under the leadership of Chimaji Appa in 1737. The fort was in the hands of the Marathas till the British captured it in 1818 to make it the headquarters of the district administration for the East India Company. The fort got its name through its trade of horses.
France to impose green tax on plane tickets from 2020
- The French government is to impose a tax of up to €18 on plane tickets for all flights from airports in France to fund less-polluting transportation projects. The new measure is expected to bring in some €182 million a year which will be invested in greener transport infrastructures, notably rail. Transport Minister Elisabeth Borne said that it will only be applied on outgoing flights and not those flying into the country.
DRDO gets clearance for missile test facility in Andhra Pradesh
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has granted environment and Coastal Regulatory Zone clearances for setting up Missile Testing Launch Facility on the Bay of Bengal coast and Technical Facility at Gullalamoda village in Krishna district. With this, all necessary clearances to begin the construction work have been obtained by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
36th Meeting of the Central Apprenticeship Council (CAC)
- In a bid to boost apprenticeship training in the country, the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) organised the 36th Meeting of the Central Apprenticeship Council (CAC) to discuss the new reforms to be introduced in apprenticeship training through amendments to Apprenticeship Rules, 1992. The 36th Central Apprenticeship Council aims to meet the aspirations of the Indian youth who strive to gain on-the-job training and secure better opportunities for employment.
MoU & CABINET APPROVAL
Cabinet approves Grant of Organized Group ‘A’ Status to Indian Railway Protection Force (RPF)
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Grant of Organised Group ‘A’ status to Indian Railway Protection Force (RPF). Grant of status of Organized Group ‘A’ service to RPF will end stagnation, improve career progression of the officers and keep up their motivational level. Eligible officers of RPF will get benefitted.
Government approves changes in POCSO Act
- The Union Cabinet approved an amendment to the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012. The Bill provides for stringent punishment, including death, for sexual assault of children, as well as fines and jail terms for child pornography.
IAF to adopt ASRAAM missile
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is looking to adopt a new European visual range air to air missile across its fighter fleet. ASRAAM is widely used as a Within Visual Range (WVR) air dominance missile with a range of over 25km. The Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) of European missile-maker MBDA has been approved for fitting on Jaguar jets and the IAF was looking to integrating it on the Su-30MKIs and the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) as well, defence sources said.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
‘State of the Education Report for India 2019- Children with Disabilities’
- A UNESCO delegation led by Director, UNESCO New Delhi Mr. Eric Falt has presented ‘State of the Education Report for India 2019- Children with Disabilities’ to Vice President Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi. The report contains ten recommendations, including amendments to Right to Education Act to align with the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act by incorporating specific concerns of children with disabilities.
Napoli 2019 Summer Universiade
- India’s Dutee Chand has clinched a Gold medal in the 100-metre dash event at the World Universiade at Napoli in Italy. Del Ponte of Switzerland won the Silver, while German Lisa Kwayie took home the Bronze.
Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships
- Rakhi Halder and Davinder Kaur won a gold medal each in the senior women’s section as Indian weightlifters continued their impressive show on the second day of the Commonwealth Championships in Apia Samoa. India also won five other gold medals in the junior and youth sections.
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here