Daily Current Affairs December 08, 2021
Vice President launched book ‘The Midway Battle: Modi’s Roller-coaster Second Term’
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu launched a book titled ‘The Midway Battle: Modi’s Roller-coaster Second Term’ authored by Gautam Chintamani and published by Bloomsbury India at Upa-Rashtrapati Nivas, New Delhi.
- The book mentioned the political scenario of India.
- It marks the second tenure of the current Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Midway Battle shed light on the various legislations like the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, triple talaq, the Citizenship (Amendment) Act as well as farming laws.
Union Minister S Jaishankar addressed 5th Indian Ocean Conference:
- Union Minister of External Affairs (EAM) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar has visited Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) to attend the 5th Indian Ocean Conference.
- The theme of the conference was ‘Indian Ocean: Ecology, Economy, Epidemic’.
- The Conference is chaired by Sri Lankan President, Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Vice Chairs are S.Jaishankar, Vivian Balakrishnan, Sayyid Badr Bin Hamad Bin Hamoud Al Busaidi.
- This year the conference is dealing with the challenges faced by the Indian ocean, due to the effects of the pandemic, economic decline and climate change.
- Dr S Jaishankar highlighted China’s growing power in the region.
- The External Affairs Minister also met his counterparts from the UAE and Oman and discussed bilateral cooperation with them before the start of the international conference.
PNB launched “PNB Pride-CRMD module” app for differently-abled employees:
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) launched the PNB Pride-CRMD module tool, an android-based application for differently-abled employees to monitor and effectively follow up with the special mention account (SMA) borrowers.
- The Pride-CRMD module has built-in TalkBack software that allows the visually impaired to access the system freely and to interact with customers by tapping on their phones.
- The app aims to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities, it said, adding that the platform opens new vistas of opportunities for ‘PNB Warriors’ with visual or any other physical impairment, helping them to make a valuable and tangible contribution.
- Punjab National Bank Founded in 1894.
- Punjab National Bank Headquarters in New Delhi.
NCW launches ‘She is a Changemaker’ for women in politics:
- The National Commission for Women (NCW) launched the pan-India capacity building programme for women in politics is being undertaken in association with region-wise training institutes.
- It also aims to improve the decision-making skills and communication skills including, oration, writing, etc. of women political leaders.
- The official launch of training programmes under ‘She is a Changemaker’ series was held in collaboration with RhambhauMhalgiPrabodhini, Thane, Maharashtra.
- The programmes was launched by Ms Rekha Sharma, Chairperson, National Commission for Women.
- The three-day capacity building programme for ‘Women in Municipal Corporation’ will be organised from 7thto 9thDecember.
- Ms Sharma said that increased women participation in politics is the need of the hour and the Commission is committed towards helping them in their journey to the Parliament.
Russia defeated Croatia to win Davis Cup tennis tournament 2021:
- The Davis Cup 2021 was won by the Russian Tennis Federation by a 2-0 lead over Croatia in the Davis Cup final in Madrid.
- Medvedev defeated Marin Cilic in the second singles match to give Russia an insurmountable 2-0 lead over Croatia and its first Davis Cup title since 2006.
- Croatia also was seeking its third title after triumphs in 2005 and 2018. Andrey Rublev was named the Most Valuable Player.
- The Russian team is officially being called RTF (Russian Tennis Federation) in the competition amid its ongoing doping suspension in international sport.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank named Ittira Davis as MD & CEO:
- The Board of Directors of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank appointed Ittira Davis as the MD and CEO of the bank.
- Davis was the MD and CEO of Ujjivan Financial Services Limited from July 2018 from where he resigned in 2021.
- Davis has a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad (IIM-A) and is an international banker with over 40 years of banking experience.
- He worked extensively in India, the Middle East and Europe.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Headquarters in Bengaluru.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Founder was Samit Ghosh.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Founded in 28 December 2004.
NASA launches Laser Communications Relay Demonstration (LCRD):
- On December 7, 2021, NASA launched its new Laser Communications Relay Demonstration (LCRD) from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.
- LCRD is the first-ever laser communications system of NASA.
- It will help NASA in test optical communication in space.
- As per NASA’s estimate, it would take around nine weeks to transmit a completed map of Mars back to Earth using the current radio frequency systems.
- While, with laser systems, it can be accelerated to around nine days.
- LCRD will send data to Earth at 1.2 gigabits-per-second (Gbps), using infrared lasers. With this speed, one can download a movie in less than a minute.
- LCRD payload is hosted onboard the Space Test Programme Satellite 6 (STPSat-6) of the US Department of Defense Space. It will be in a geosynchronous orbit, about 35,000 km above Earth.
Tamil Nadu’s Kazhuveli wetland declared as bird sanctuary:
- The Kazhuveli wetland located near Villupuram in Tamil Nadu has been declared a bird sanctuary by the Environment, Climate Change and Forest Department, and will henceforth be called the ‘Kazhuveli Birds Sanctuary’.
- The 5,151.60 hectares of land in Vanur and Marakkanam taluks will be the 16th bird sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- The declaration was made under subsection(1) of section 18 of the Wildlife Protection Act,1972.
- The Kazhuveli wetlands is reffered to as the 2nd largest Brackish Water Lake in South India,only after Pulicat lake.
Highway Projects in the North-Eastern States:
- Ministry takes up new National Highway projects through its implementing agencies like NHAI, NHIDCL, State PWDs, BRO, etc., based on the requirements of traffic, connectivity, interse priority and the availability of resources.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has initiated action for taking up construction of flyovers at Boragaon, Gorchuk, Lokhra&Basistha Junction in Guwahati Bypass, standalone flyovers and ROBon stretches of NH 31, NH 31C, NH 36 and NH 37, and balance work of Narimbaglo-Jatinga Junction- Hrangajao stretch of East West corridor.
- Besides NHAI has planned for taking up project preparation work for construction Guwahati Ring Road.
- Further, Ministry plans to take up through other implementing agencies like NHIDCL, State PWDs and BRO, about 131 new National Highway projects at an approximate estimated cost of about 84,193 crore, in the North-Eastern States, within the next three years, under the National Infrastructure Pipeline.
- This information was given by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
Scheme for Monitoring Nutritional Status of Children:
- Malnutrition is a multi- faceted problem and key reasons for malnutrition in early life are early marriage, faulty and sub-optimal infant and young child feeding practices, childhood illnesses and low birth weight.
- The nutritional status of the population is outcome of complex and inter-related set of factors and needs a multi-pronged approach.
- Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman (PM POSHAN) Scheme earlier known as ‘National Programme for Mid-Day Meal in Schools’ is one of the foremost rights based Centrally Sponsored Schemes.
- This Scheme covers all school children studying in Classes I-VIII in Government and Government-Aided Schools.
- There is also evidence to suggest that apart from enhancing school attendance and child nutrition this scheme has an important social value and fosters equality.
Nilmani Phookan Jr and Damodar Mauzo receive Jnanpith Award:
- Assamese poet Nilmani Phookan Jr won the 56th Jnanpith Award and Konkani novelist Damodar Mauzo won the 57th Jnanpith Award.
- The country’s highest literary award, the Jnanpith is bestowed on writers for “their outstanding contribution to literature”.
- Jnanpith Award is a literary award presented by the Bharatiya Jnanpith organization to Indian writers every year.
- This was instituted in 1961 and is given only to Indian writers who write in Indian languages and English.
India- ADB agreements for projects in Uttarakhand and Tamil Nadu:
- Central government has signed two loan agreements for Projects in the state of Uttarakhand and Tamil Nadu.
- The loan agreement of Rs 2,074 crore will be used for – affordable housing project in Tamil Nadu and water sanitation programme in Uttarakhand.
- Government and ADB signed a USD 150 million loan agreement to provide access to resilient, inclusive, and sustainable housing for the urban poor in Tamil Nadu.
- The affordable housing project is in line with government’s development priorities and policies on urban sector development, especially with the flagship programme PMAY-Housing for All (Urban).
- This project was launched as rapid urbanization and growth in Tamil Nadu has led to housing shortfall for low-income households.
Flatbill flycatcher- New Species of Bird Discovered in South America:
- Flatbill flycatcher are members of genus Rhynchocyclusin exclusively New World family Tyrannidae.
- Four known species in this genus are distributed across southern Mexico to north-eastern Bolivia, Brazil and eastern Venezuela.
- The newly discovered species has been named as cryptic flatbill (Rhynchocyclus cryptus) after its remarkable morphological cryptic nature, it strongly contrasts with its high levels of vocal and genetic differentiation.
- The main threats for the species are:
- *Deforestation due to rapid progress of livestock farms
- *Monocultures and implementation of large hydroelectric dams on the Madeira River. It affects the flow of sediments.
|To Follow Our Instagram||Click Here|
|To Follow Our Twitter||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|
|To Join Our Facebook||Click Here|