Daily Current Affairs – April 16, 2019
Home Expo India 2019 Begins
- The 8th edition of Home Expo India 2019 from April 16- 18, 2019 opened at India Expo Centre and Mart, Greater Noida. The three-day exhibition has been organized by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
Aizawl records 34.2° Celsius, highest in 20 years
- The capital city of Mizoram on April 15th, experienced its hottest day in 20 years as the temperature soared to 34.2 degrees Celsius. The minimum temperature was 17.8 degrees Celsius.
Science and Technology:
‘First’ 3D printed heart has human cells, vessels
- Scientists in Israel unveiled a 3D print of a heart with human tissue and vessels, calling it a first and a “major medical breakthrough” that advances possibilities for transplants.
State TB cell mulls MoU with India Post to transport samples
- The State TB Cell officials are mulling signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the postal department to transport sputum samples from Primary Health Centres to Cartridge Based Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (CBNAAT) laboratories in district headquarters.
India’s Foreign Trade: March 2019
- India’s overall exports (Merchandise and Services combined) in April-March 2018-19* are estimated to be USD 535.45Billion, exhibiting a positive growth of 7.97per cent over the same period last year. Overall imports in April-March2018-19* are estimated to be USD 631.29Billion, exhibiting a positive growth of 8.48per cent over the same period last year.
SPIC’s holding firm to set up floating solar power plant
- Singapore-based AM International Holdings, the holding company of SPIC and Manali Petro, has announced its foray into renewable energy by setting up a floating solar power plant.
Fifteenth Finance Commission by NITI Aayog
- 2nd meeting of the Fifteenth Finance Commission by NITI Ayog on Performance Based Grants was held in New Delhi, with interaction of Aayog Vice Chairman Dr. Rajeev Kumar, Members, CEO and Finance Commission Chairman Shri N.K. Singh, Members and Senior Officials.
3 Indian teams win NASA awards
- NASA has awarded three teams from India as part its annual Human Exploration Rover Challenge. The team from KIET Group of Institutions in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, won the “AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award”.
- The Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering from Mumbai, Maharashtra, won the “Frank Joe Sexton Memorial Pit Crew Award”.
- A team from Lovely Professional University in Phagwara, Punjab, won the “STEM Engagement Award”.
Pulitzer Prize 2019
- Aretha Franklin received an honorary Pulitzer Prize, as judges praised the Queen of Soul “for her indelible contribution to American music and culture.”
Trial of ‘Nirbhay’ Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired indigenously designed & developed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile “Nirbhay” from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur Odisha. It is the sixth development flight trial with objective to prove the repeatability of boost phase, cruise phase using way point navigation at very low altitudes.
- The Australian and Indian Navy have concluded a two-week long bilateral maritime exercise code-named AUSINDEX. Personnel from the Eastern Fleet bid farewell to Her Majesty’s Australian Ships Canberra, Newcastle, Paramatta. For the first time, 55 American and 20 New Zealand military personnel embarked onboard the RAN ships and witnessed the exercises during AUSINDEX-19.
Thailand Visit of Admiral Sunil Lanba
- Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM, ADC, Chief of the Naval Staff is on a bilateral visit to Thailand from 17 to 19 April 2019.
- The two countries established formal diplomatic relations in 1947. The Defence relationship between India and Thailand has matured over the years, with the two countries signing a Memorandum of Understanding on Defence Cooperation in January 2012.
Indian squad for World Cup announced
- Virat Kohli (Capt), Rohit Sharma (vc), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, M.S. Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohd Shami. MS Dhoni will play 4th world cup in England and Wales from May 30 to July 14.
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here