India announces supply of COVID19 vaccines to 6 countries
India will supply covid-19 vaccines to six countries that are to Bhutan, Maldives, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar and Seychelles.
- The vaccines will supply to those countries over the coming weeks and months in a phased manner keeping in view the domestic requirements.
- India has already rolled out a massive coronavirus vaccination drive under which two vaccines which are namely Covishield and Covaxin.
Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal addresses First National Conference of States on Logistics
Union Minister for Railways, Commerce & Industry has addressed the First National Conference of States on Logistics.
- The National logistics policy aims to promote the seamless movement of goods across the country.
- The policy will look at several areas such as process reengineering, digitization and focus on multi-modal connectivity.
About Railway Ministry:
- Union Minister: Piyush Goyal
Indian Railways renames Howrah-Kalka Mail renamed as Netaji Express
Indian Railways has renamed one of Oldest trains Howrah-Kalka Mail as Netaji Express.
- India will be celebrating the 125th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose this January 23.
- Recently, the Ministry of Culture has also designated January 23 as Parakram Diwas.
About Indian Railways:
- Founded: 1853,
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Russia leaves from Open Skies Treaty after US
Russia recently announced to withdraw from Open Skies Treaty
- This treaty allows participants to fly unarmed reconnaissance flights over any part of their fellow member states.
- In 2020, the US announced that it is to leave the Open Skies Treaty
- The Open Skies Treaty was signed in 1992 after the Disintegration of the Soviet Union.
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Capital: Moscow
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal lays foundation stone of Science city
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid foundation stone of Science City for popularising science and technology at the grassroots.
- This science city will be established in Tepesia, Guwahati, Assam with an expenditure of Rs.184 crore.
- The main building of the Science City would cost an amount of Rs. 110 crore. It being built jointly by National Council of Science Museum and Science and Technology Department
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Prof. Jagdish Mukhi
Avalokana software launched by Karnataka CM Yediyurappa
Chief Minister of Karnataka B. S. Yediyurappa launched Avolokana software.
- This software will enable the government to access data on sanctions and expenditures incurred by 39 departments on 1,800 programmes implemented by the state government.
- The Chief Minister also unveiled Karnataka statistics on Development programmes for the year 2019-20
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Kerala to launch Country’s First Labour Movement Museum
India’s First Ever Labour Movement Museum will be launched in Alappuzha, Kerala.
- The museum would be launched as part of the LDF government’s second 100-day programme.
- The museum will portray the growth of the world labour movement and the history of Kerala’s labour movement
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Maharashtra Government renames Gorewada international zoo after Bal Thackeray
The Maharashtra government has renamed Gorewada International Zoo in Nagpur as ‘Balasaheb Thackeray Gorewada International Zoological Park’.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will also inaugurate Indian Safari in the park is scheduled on January 26.
- Bal Keshav Thackeray was an Indian politician born on 1926. He founded the Shiv Sena in 1966. He is also the founder of Marathi-language newspaper ‘Saamana’.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Summits & Conference
15th India Digital Summit 2021 – inaugural address given by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
The 15th India Digital Summit 2021 was inaugurated by Union Information and Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- This summit is the flagship event of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI)
- The theme for this year’s summit, which is being held virtually is ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat – Start of New Decade’
Joe Biden took oath as 46th US President, Kamala Harris as Vice-President
United States President-elect Joe Biden and vice president Kamala Harris took oath as the 46th President and 49th Vice-President of the United States.
- Biden had earlier served as the Vice President of the United States during the Obama administration
- Kamala Harris had served as a US Senator from California from 2017 to till January 19, 2021, when she resigned from her post.
About United States:
- President: Joe Biden
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju gets additional charge of Ministry of AYUSH
Youth Affairs & Sports Affairs Minister, Kiren Rijiju got additional charge of the Ministry of AYUSH.
- AYUSH Minister Shripad Naik portfolio’s Ministry of AYUSH has been temporarily assigned to Mr Rijiju in addition to his existing portfolios
- Shripad Naik will hold the fort till Shripad Yesso Naik recovers from an accident.
MoUs & Agreements
Cabinet gives nod to India and Uzbekistan for cooperation in Solar Energy
Union Cabinet of India has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Uzbekistan to boost cooperation in the field of Solar Energy.
- This MoU will help to identify research, demonstration and initiation of pilot projects between the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) under the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, India and the International Solar Energy Institute, Uzbekistan.
- Capital: Tashkent
- President: Shavkat Mirziyoyev
- Currency: Uzbekistani som
Ranking & Index
NITI Aayog releases 2nd edition of India Innovation Index-2020 – Karnataka secured First Position
NITI Aayog has released the second edition of the India Innovation Index-2020 on 20 January 2021.
As per the Index, Karnataka retained its first position in the Major States category. Maharashtra moved one position higher and stood at 2nd spot while Tamil Nadu slid to 3rd position.
- In the North east category, Himachal Pradesh stands at first position followed by Uttarakhand and Manipur.
- Delhi stands at the first position while Chandigarh retained its second spot in the Union Territories and small States category.
- The last edition of the India Innovation Index, released in October 2019.
Awards & Honors
Azim Premji wins Press Club of Bangalore award
The Founder chairman of Narayana health Dr Devi Prasad Shetty and the chairman of Wipro Limited Azim Premji have been selected for the annual awards given by the Press Club of Bangalore.
- Premji has been selected for “Press Club Person of the year”. Prasad Sheety and actor-director Sudeep Sanjeev have been selected for the “Press Club Special Award”.
- This award function is scheduled on February Third week.
5th India-Singapore Defence Ministers Dialogue held
Fifth India and Singapore Defence Ministers was held virtually between Defence Minister of India, Rajnath Singh and Dr. Ng Eng Hen, Minister for Defence, Republic of Singapore.
- The both ministers signed Agreement on Submarine Rescue Support and Cooperation between the two Navies
- Both ministers are agreed to take multilateral initiatives to promote lasting peace and stability in the region.
- Currency: Singapore dollar
- President : Halimah Yacob
Always be on track. Never miss reading current affairs more than 2 weeks.
Always discuss current affairs with other aspirants.
Take Quiz to revise topics that you already covered
You have to study at least 6 months current affairs
You can download last 6 months current affairs in examsdaily site. The Direct Link is provided above.