Daily Current Affairs – September 21 2018
September 21 – International Day of Peace
- Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples. The International Day of Peace was established in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly.
2018 Theme: “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70”
Flightless bird research centre
- The Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (KVASU) has set up a flightless bird research centre, a first in the State, on the university campus at Pookode in Wayanad district.
Mumbai Corporation to kickstart leprosy detection drive
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will be undertaking a survey from September 25 to October 9 to identify new leprosy patients as part of the National Leprosy Eradication Programme (NLEP).
Entire Kutch district declared scarcity affected area
- Gujarat government has declared the entire Kutch district as scarcity affected area.
Farmers’ accident insurance amounts doubled
- The Gujarat government has doubled the monetary assistance to farmers under the state-run Farmers’ Accident Insurance Scheme. The insurance scheme covers over 2.5 crore farmers who own agricultural land in the state.
Cyclone Daye weakens into deep depression
- The cyclonic storm “DAYE” over south Odisha and its neighbourhood has moved west-northwestwards.
UAE re-affirms commitments to developing nuclear programme to highest safety standards
- The UAE has re-affirmed its commitment to develop its national nuclear programme to the highest standards of safety, security, non-proliferation and transparency.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
World Bank approves Country Partnership Framework for India
- World Bank Board has endorsed an ambitious five-year Country Partnership Framework (CPF) for India, which aligns with New Delhi’s objectives of high, sustainable and inclusive growth.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
First General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance
- The first General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance, ISA, will be inaugurated on the 2nd of October in Delhi.
- Shri A. Gitesh Sarma – Secretary (West) Ministry of External Affairs
- Vijay Amritraj – Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) president
Novel scheme for the protection of the exotic Neela Kurinji plants
- Tamil Nadu government has announced a novel scheme for the protection of the exotic Neela kurinji (Strobilanthus kunthianus) plants that flower only once in 12 years.
India contributes 1 million to UN’s ambitious solar project
- India has contributed one million US dollars for the installation of solar panels on the roof of the imposing UN building at the world body’s headquarters in New York. The contribution will help reduce carbon footprint and promote sustainable energy.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
MHA signs MoU with ISRO
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Department of Space signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for setting up of an state-of-the-art Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response (ICR-ER) in Ministry of Home Affairs.
Health Ministry partners with Dell and Tata Trusts
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare exchanged the MoUs with the Tata Trusts and Dell to provide a technological platform fornationwide prevention, control, screening and management program of Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs).
ANI, WAM sign MoU
- Asian News International, ANI and Emirates News Agency, WAM, the official news agency of the UAE government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding, MoU, to reinforce and develop bilateral cooperation in the area of the free news exchange.
Successful Flight Test of Prahar
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the indigenously developed surface-to-surface tactical missile ‘Prahar’. It is a contemporary weapon system capable of carrying multiple types of warheads and neutralizing a wide variety of targets.
- Zoological Society of London honour – Biospeleologist Shabuddin Shaik
APP & WEBPORTAL
Union Home Minister launches two portals to strengthen Women Safety
- Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (CCPWC) portal – to check objectionable online content
- National Database on Sexual Offenders (NDSO) – to aid in monitoring & investigation of sexual crimes
WADA lifts ban on Russia
- The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) lifted a ban on Russia’s anti-doping agency, RUSADA, paving the way for Russian athletes to return to competition across all sports.