Daily Current Affairs – July 11,2018
To Know 2018 Daily Current Affairs Click Here
World Population Day 2018
- The world population day celebrated on 11th July 2018 is a United Nations Initiative to raise the awareness of increasing population day to day. In 1989, the governing council of the United Nations Development Programme recommended that 11th July should be observed as World Population Day.
- The theme for 2018 is “Family Planning is Human Right”.
PM to inaugurate new ASI Headquarters in New Delhi
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will inaugurate the new Headquarters building of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), at Tilak Marg in New Delhi on July 12, 2018.
Technology Challenge Launched for Promoting Suitable Techniques for Cleaning of Sewers and Septic Tanks
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, which was entrusted with the task, has now launched the “Technology Challenge: Identifying solutions for cleaning of Sewerage Systems and Septic Tanks”.
- Elimination of Human Entry into Sewer Drains and Cleaning of Septic Tanks is the Ultimate Goal of this Challenge
100 Anna Canteens opened across Andhra Pradesh
- The long-awaited Anna Canteens offering subsidised food for the poor were launched in Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) across Andhra Pradesh.About 100 canteens were opened in 35 ULBs in the first phase. They would serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for just ₹5 a plate on week days.
Madhya Pradesh Leg of Startup India Yatra begins on July 16th, 2018
- The Startup India Yatra van will travel to 10 cities of Madhya Pradesh, starting from the capital Bhopal, to spread awareness about Startup India and Madhya Pradesh Startup Policy. The vehicle, with experts on board, will provide an opportunity for entrepreneurial talents to pitch an idea and get incubated, scaling it from idea to enterprise.
- Jack Fest – 2018, the second edition of the International Jackfruit Festival, organised jointly by the Department of Agriculture and the Kerala Agricultural University (KAU), began at the Regional Agricultural Research Station (RARS) at Ambalavayal in Wayanad district.
Sri Lanka to restore capital punishment for drug offences
- The Sri Lankan Cabinet has unanimously approved a move to bring back capital punishment for drug-related crimes.
Pigment in Goa mushroom may help fight cancer
- The mycological laboratory of the Department of Botany, Goa University reported the discovery of a new pigment from local wild mushrooms.
- New suphur-rich melanin biopigment of immense bioindustrial, biomedical (anti-cancer, anti-tumour) and biotechnological potential from local Roen alamis (wild variety of Goan mushrooms that grows on termite hills) or Termitomyces species.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Motors’ to launch new SUV called ‘Harrier’
- Tata Motors said its much-awaited compact sports utility vehicle (SUV) will be called ‘Harrier’, which is being developed in collaboration with its marque British arm Jaguar Land Rover. The commercial launch will take place in the first quarter of 2019.
Aurobindo Pharma gets USFDA nod for Azithromycin tablets
- Aurobindo Pharma has received final approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) to manufacture Azithromycin tablets 250 mg and 500 mg.
- Azithromycin tablets are an AB-rated generic equivalent of Pfizer’s Zithromax tablets and are indicated for the treatment of mild to moderate infections.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
Lonely Planet’s best Asia destinations list
- Western Ghats has figured in Lonely Planet’s top five “2018 Best in Asia” list, a collection of 10 of the best destinations to visit in the continent for the year. One of the Hottest Biodiversity Hotspots and UNESCO World Heritage site, the Western Ghats has came fourth in the list of the Lonely Planet
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
3rd Intergovernmental Group of Experts (IGE) convened by the UNCTAD
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Shri Ram Vilas Paswan led the Indian Delegation and delivered a speech at the opening/plenary session of the 3rd Intergovernmental Group of Experts (IGE) convened by the UNCTAD.
- Shri Paswan highlighted the key achievements of the Government of India, especially in the area of Consumer Protection. The two day conference in Geneva on Consumer Issues concluded on 10th of July, 2018.
16th Workshop On Greenhouse Gas Inventories in Asia
- 16th Workshop on Greenhouse Gas Inventories in Asia (WGIA16) was inaugurated in New Delhi.Dr. Harsh Vardhan stressed that while efforts of experts are necessary, there is also a need for an active involvement of people in the fight against climate change. “We have committed to achieve 175 GW of installed capacity of renewable energy generation by 2022.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVAL
MoU signed for enhancing bilateral cooperation in legal affairs between India and UK
- The Ministers of two countries signed a MoU for enhancing bilateral cooperation in legal affairs which, inter alia, provides a framework for promoting greater co-operation between the judicial and legal professionals in both countries through exchange of expertise and training; exchanging information regarding current issues of international significance.
Dipa Karmakar likely to become the brand ambassador of Tripura.
- Ace Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar, who bagged the gold medal in the women’s vault event at the Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup in Mersin in Turkey on Sunday, is likely to become the brand ambassador of Tripura.
India bag four medals at Asian Archery, finish third
- India bagged three silver medals and a bronze to finish joint third with Iran in the Asia Cup World Ranking Tournament Stage 3 in Taipei.
Home Ministry has cleared Pakistan’s participation at Asian Junior championship
- Home Ministry has cleared for participation of Pakistani grapplers at the Asian Junior Championship after Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) agreed to give an undertaking that the movement of the contingent from the neighbouring nation will be restricted to the competition venue.
To Download Pocket Current Affairs Click Here