Daily Current Affairs – August 20 2018
August 20 – World Mosquito Day
- World Mosquito Day, observed annually on 20 August, is a commemoration of British doctor Sir Ronald Ross’s discovery in 1897 that female mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans.
Centre says Kerala floods ‘calamity of severe nature’
- The Centre has said that the Kerala floods were a “calamity of severe nature for all practical purposes”, keeping in view the intensity and magnitude of the floods and landslides.
Health experts warn against epidemics
- Health experts have warned that flooding could lead to epidemics. Sanitation and personal hygiene have to be given prime importance.
Southern Railway special train takes water to Kerala
- Southern Railway is making arrangements to send drinking water to Kerala.
Telangana Govt launches Disaster Response Force vehicles
- The Telangana Government has launched Disaster Response Force (DRF) vehicles in Hyderabad to combat situations like flash floods, heavy rains, building collapse and fire mishaps.
New York hosts US celebration of Indian independence
- New York City is hosting the largest annual celebration of Indian independence outside of India.
Russia invites Taliban to Afghanistan talks
- Russia said it was preparing international peace talks on Afghanistan on September 4 and has invited the Taliban
Antidepressants may counter effects of brain ageing
- A commonly used antidepressant medication Prozac can counter some of the effects of brain ageing, such as sensory and cognitive decline, an MIT study suggests.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Hyundai Motor teams up with Revv to develop innovative mobility services
- Hyundai Motor Company has tied up with Revv, a self-drive car sharing company, to develop an innovative car- sharing service and conduct creative marketing activities in India.
Maxxis to set up 5 new plants in India
- Maxxis India, the Indian subsidiary of Taiwanese-based tyre-maker, plans to set up five additional manufacturing plants in the country.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
52nd Meeting of the Council of IITs
- The 52nd Meeting of the Council of IITs was held under the chairmanship of Union Minister of Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi.
- Vice-president of South West Asia (SWA) operations – Sundeep Bajoria
- Vice-president Strategy & Insights, Coca-Cola India & South West Asia – Chandrasekar Radhakrishnan.
INS Khanjar visits Yangon, Myanmar
- INS Khanjar a Missile Corvette of Indian Navy was on a three-day visit to Yangon, Myanmar to undertake operational turn around (OTR) and as part of goodwill visit from 18 to 20 Aug 18.
- Prestigious WHO World No Tobacco Day 2018 Award – S.K. Arora [Delhi government’s additional director of health]
Asian Games 2018
- Indian shooter Deepak Kumar claimed the silver medal in men’s 10m air rifle event
- Young Indian shooter Lakshay claimed the silver medal in the men’s trap shooting event
- Vinesh Phogat created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win a gold medal at the Asian Games
- Novak Djokovic finally clinched the title missing from his resume with a win over Roger Federer to win in Cincinnati and become the first player to complete the sweep of Masters series tournaments.