TN Govt. should prevent construction of check dam across Bhavani river by Kerala Govt.
- The Kerala Government constructing the third check dam across River Bhavani will threaten the implementation of the Athikadavu-Avinashi ground water rejuvenation scheme and the Tamil Nadu Government should prevent the construction, PMK youth wing leader Anbumani Ramadoss said
Dhinakaran all set to float party on March 15 in Madurai
- Buoyed by the order of the Delhi High Court, which observed that an election symbol, “preferably Pressure Cooker”, be allotted to him, dissident AIADMK leader and R.K. Nagar MLA T.T.V. Dhinakaran is all set to launch his new political party at Melur in Madurai district on March 15.
Steps on to rescue those trapped: CM Palaniswami
- Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami said the State government had taken all steps on a war footing to rescue those trapped in the forest fire at Kurangani hills in Theni
Vigil intensified in Nilambur
- The Nilambur forest divisions have intensified their vigil against wildfires in the light of a disastrous fire in Theni which claimed 10 lives on Sunday. The forest authorities said that both the North and South Divisions of Nilambur forests were equipped to deal with any fire emergency that may happen in the summer.
Govt torpedding Light Metro: MLA
- FRAT president R. Padmanabhan Nair and chairman Pattom Sasidharan Nair demanded that the government went ahead with the project. They added the delay in undertaking the preliminary works including the construction of flyovers and widening of existing roads could affect the project. They also cautioned against the possible cost escalation the delay could bring.
Women outnumber men across streams, categories at convocation this year
- Nearly 62% of the students who completed various courses including their Bachelors’, Masters’ and Ph.D from the University of Mysore in the academic year 2016-17 are women.
- The toppers among them will receive the degree certificates in person at the 98th convocation of the University which will be held on March 12 .
Bird census at Ranganathittu held, results within 4 weeks
- The total bird count was impressive and the final estimate would be known after the data analysis. What was significant was that a good number of rare birds were identified, Mr. Yedukondalu said. The Forest Department would analyse the data and it might take between two and four weeks to provide the final bird estimate .
ANDHRA PRADESH :
New dental facility inaugurated
- A new dental facility Aster Ramesh Duhita dental care was inaugurated on the premises of Ramesh Hospitals here on Sunday. Director General of Police M. Malakondaiah inaugurated the Aster Ramesh Dental wing at the hospital.
Senior citizens moot Singapore scheme to foster family bonding
- Senior citizens say they will urge Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu to replicate the Proximity Housing Grant (PHG), implemented by the Singapore government to promote family bonding.
J&K Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu divested of portfolio
- J&K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on MARCH 12 divested State Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu, of his portfolio, two days after he had remarked that “Kashmir was a social and not a political issue”. Mr. Drabu had been the architect of the party’s alliance with the BJP.
SC admits plea on lawmaker-lawyers
- The Supreme Court on MARCH 12 admitted a PIL petition to ban MPs and MLAs from doubling up as lawyers. A three-judge Bench, led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, directed the Bar Council of India (BCI) to respond by April 23, the next date of hearing .
IAF to embark on a long shopping sortie for a jet
- The Request for Information (RFI) for selecting a new fighter aircraft is expected to be issued before the DefExpo in April. It will be an open tender and not limited to single-engine aircraft,” a defence official told .
CBI lens on hacking of foreign travel card data
- The SBI, in its complaint, said manpower resources for handling the system operations was also provided by Yalamanchili Software, while database support resources were extended by IT services company MPhasis.
49 killed in Nepal plane crash
- A US-Bangla Airlines aircraft MARCH 12 crashed and burst into flames while landing at Nepal’s Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) here, killing more than 50 people, a top Nepalese official said.
Russia test-fires ‘ideal’ hypersonic missile
- Russia said that it successfully launched a hypersonic missile which President Vladimir Putin called “an ideal weapon” as he unveiled a new array of next-generation arms earlier this month.
- The high-precision Kinzhal (Dagger) missile was launched from a MiG-31 supersonic interceptor jet that took off from an airfield in the South Military District in Russia’s southwest, the Defence Ministry said.
China steps up “feel good” diplomacy with India
- China on MARCH 12 stepped up the on-going messaging between Beijing and New Delhi, highlighting a steady improvement in their post-Doklam ties.In response to a question, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang, said during his routine briefing that China had noted “positive remarks by the Indian side.”
Space bases could preserve civilization in World War III: Elon Musk
- Bases on the moon and Mars could help preserve human civilization and hasten its regeneration on earth in the event of a third world war, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk has said.
- Mr. Musk, the founder of rocket and spacecraft company SpaceX, said the company’s interplanetary ship could begin test flights as soon as next.
Afghan official: insurgents have taken control of a district headquarters in western Farah province
- Fared Bakhtawer, the head provincial council in Farah, said on MARCH 12 that initial information shows around 15 security forces were killed and wounded in the fighting at the Anardara district headquarters. Mr. Bakhtawar said the Taliban attacked the district police and administrative offices from different directions to take over the headquarters .
Infosys to delist ADS from Euronext Paris, London
- During the five-year period of the company’s listing on Euronext Paris and Euronext London, the average daily trading volume of the company’s ADS had been significantly lower than its average daily trading volume on the New York Stock Exchange, the statement said.
Retail inflation at 4-month low of 4.44% on cheaper food, fuel
- Retail inflation fell to a 4-month low of 4.44% in February on cheaper food articles and lower cost for fuel. Retail inflation, based on Consumer Price Index (CPI), was at 5.07% in January. In February 2017, however, it was 3.65%. It was 4.88% in November last year.
- Data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) showed that the rate of price rise in the consumer food segment was lower at 3.26% in February, as against 4.7% in the previous month .
Rupee rises 23 paise against dollar in opening trade
- The rupee strengthened by 23 paise to 64.94 against the US dollar at the interbank forex market on fresh selling of the greenback by exporters and banks amid foreign capital inflows.
‘BoI recovers 7,000-crore worth NPAs’
- Bank of India (BoI) has recovered non performing assets (NPA) worth 7,000 crore which the institution had lent against standby letter of credit, according to a top official.
ICC says no to USACA events
- “Both the series are unsanctioned events within the ICC’s regulatory framework and neither is recognised by the BCCI or ICC,” an ICC media release said. “In accordance with the ICC’s regulations on sanctioning events, no person affiliated to a National Cricket Federation is permitted to participate in any disapproved cricket,” the release added.
Akhil Sheoran wins gold in shooting World Cup
- Young Akhil Sheoran ( centre ) clinched the gold medal in men’s 50m rifle 3 position with plenty to spare as India continued their superlative run at the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.