United Nations World Water Development Report 2020. United Nations which is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation released the World Water Development Report 2020 and PCRWR Groundwater Investigation and Mapping report.
- The reports were jointly launched by UNESCO Islamabad in partnership with the Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources (PCRWR), and in collaboration with The Asia Foundation, the United States Agency for International Development and the International Water Management Institute (IWMI).
- To help the water community to tackle the challenges of climate change.
- To inform the climate change community about the opportunities that improved water management offers in terms of adaptation and mitigation.
- Over the past 100 years, the world is estimated to have lost half its natural wetlands and with this a significant number of freshwater species.
- The loss rate of wetlands is three times higher than that of forests.
- Global floods and extreme rainfall events have increased by more than 50% this decade, and are now occurring at a rate four times higher than in 1980.
- Around 74% of all natural disasters between 2001 and 2018 were water-related and during the past 20 years
- The total number of deaths caused only by floods and droughts exceeded 166,000, while floods and droughts affected over three billion people, and caused total economic damage of almost US$700 billion.
- Droughts accounted for 5% of natural disasters, affecting 1.1 billion people, killing 22,000 more, and causing US$100 billion in damage over the 20-year period.
- Floods could cost South Asia as much as US$215 billion each year by 2030
About World Water Development Report:
The United Nations World Water Development Report (WWDR) is a global report that provides an authoritative, comprehensive assessment of the world’s freshwater resources.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
- Who releases the Global Competitive Report? – World Economic Forum
- What is the Indian rank in ‘Ease of Doing Business’ 2020? – 63rd
- Who publishes the report on the Global social Mobility Index? – World Economic Forum
- Which of the following organisation led the foundation towards the formation of the International society nations? – League of Nations
- When was the United Nations adopted the Charter of Economic Rights? – December 1980
- Under whom recommendations the UN General Assembly suspends the UN membership? – Security Council
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|