UN World Meteorological Organization released State of Climate Services Report 2020. United Nations World Meteorological Organization (UN WMO) which is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for boosting international cooperation on atmospheric science, climatology, hydrology and geophysics released the State of Climate Services Report 2020.
- The Report was released on International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction on October 13, 2020.
- This report predicted that, by 2030 the number of people taking international humanitarian system could increase by 50% at a cost of around US$ 20 billion a year.
- One in three people are not sufficiently covered by early warning systems.
- In 2018, around 108 million people needed the help from the international humanitarian system because of storms, floods, droughts and wildfires.
About State of Climate Services Report 2020:
- The report includes 16 different case studies on early warning systems for climate hazards including tropical cyclones and hurricanes, floods, droughts, heat waves, forest fires, sand and dust storms, desert locusts, severe winters and glacial lake outbursts.
- It also suggested for the need to switch to impact-based forecasting that will be an evolution from “what the weather will be” to “what the weather will do”.
- This would help people and businesses to act early on the basis of warnings.
- Headquarters location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 23 March 1950
- Secretary General: Petteri Taalas
- According to IMO, Mean Average Global Temperature will raise by how many degrees Celsius in 5 years? – 1.5 degree
- World Meteorological Day is celebrated on – March 23
- How many member countries does WMO have? – 193
- World Meteorological Organization celebrated its 70th Anniversary in – 2020
- What is the theme of World Meteorological Day 2020? – The Sun, the Earth and the weather
- India is a member of the WMO since – 1949
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|