NGMA announces online NAIMISHA 2020- Summer Art Program
The National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi has announced Online NAIMISHA 2020- Summer Art Program from 8th June 2020 to 3rd July 2020.
- It will provide a chance to participants and art enthusiasts to create and learn from artists.
- It will include online workshops sessions on painting, sculpture, printmaking and indrajaal (an interdisciplinary creative workshop).
- The exhibition of selected artworks will be displayed on So’ham, cultural media platform of NGMA.
- Director-General – Adwaita Gadanayak
Ramon Magsaysay awards cancelled due to coronavirus
The Ramon Magsaysay awards, regarded as Asia’s version of the Nobel Prize, have been cancelled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The award is bestowed upon the Asian individuals showcase excellence in their respective fields and who work selflessly to serve others.
- The awards are named after a popular Philippine president who died in a 1957 plane crash and honor “greatness of spirit in selfless service to the peoples of Asia.”
About Ramon Magsaysay Awards:
- Established: 1957
ADB forms 8-member panel to find solutions for speedy recovery of COVID-19 in Southeast Asia
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has constituted an 8-member high-level panel of leading experts in economics, finance, and health, moderated by ADB Vice-President Ahmed M. Saeed, to help ministers, central bank governors, and other senior officials identify solutions for Southeast Asian economies to tap into to quickly recover after the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- It is to be noted that the ADB has allocated $20 billion financial response to its 68 members to help fight the pandemic and reboot its economy after months of lockdown.
- Headquarters– Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President– Masatsugu Asakawa
‘Rozgar Setu Portal’ inaugurated in MP to provide work to migrant labourers
Madhya Pradesh is the first state in the country which has completed the survey of all migrant labourers and started to provide jobs according to their skill.
- All migrant labourers as well as employers have been registered on the Rozgar Setu portal.
- As per the official information, 7 lakh 30 thousand migrant labourers and 5 lakh 79 thousand members of their families have been registered on the portal.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital – Bhopal
- Governor – Lal Ji Tandon
- Chief Minister – Shivraj Singh Chouhan
World Bank lends Rs 1950 crore loans to West Bengal
West Bengal government has received a loan amount of Rs 1950 crore from the World Bank to tackle COVID-19 situation and developmental work in the state.
Out of the total amount, Rs. 1,100 crore will be allocated for creating Industrial infrastructures and the balance Rs. 850 crore will be spent for various Social-Welfare schemes.
About West Bengal:
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee;
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
29% rise in Asiatic lion population in Gir
The number of Asiatic lions in the Gir forest region has increased by 29 per cent to 674.
- As per the May 2015 census, there were 523 Asiatic lions in Gir, an increase of 27 per cent from 2010.
- Asiatic Lions are found in the wild in the Gir sanctuary in western Gujarat. The announcement was made by the Gujarat government.
- Chief Minister: Vijaybhai R. Rupani;
- Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat.
Banking & Finance
S&P Global Ratings forecasted 5% shrink in India economy FY21
American credit rating agency, S&P Global Ratings has released ‘Financial Conditions Reflect Optimism, Lockdown Fatigue Emerges’ report on emerging markets.
- In the report, Indian economy is forecasted to shrink by 5% in fiscal year 2020-21.
- The current fiscal stimulus worth 1.2% of GDP is not sufficient to provide significant growth support as per the report.
- It has estimated India’s growth to jump 8.5% in the fiscal year 2021-22 and 6.5% in the fiscal year 2022-23.
Anil Valluri joins Google Cloud India as Senior Director
Google has appointed Anil Valluri as the Senior Director for Google Cloud India.
- Valluri was also an Independent Board Member of Sankhya Infotech.
- Before joining Google Cloud, Valluri was the President of India & SAARC operations at NetApp.
About Google India:
- Managing Director of Google Cloud India : Karan Bajwa.
Lawyer Javed Iqbal Wani appointed J&K High Court Judge
President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed senior Kashmiri lawyer Javed Iqbal Wani as a Judge of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
- He also served as additional advocate general of Jammu and Kashmir High Court for nearly 11 months in 2019.
- Wani’s appointment was recommended on January 22 by the Supreme Court Collegium headed by Chief Justice of India S A Bobde.
- Lieutenant Governor of Jammu: Girish Chandra Murmu.
Ranks & Reports
QS World University Ranking 2021 released, three Indian universities make it to top 200
Top 200 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings have been released today. Three Indian Institutes have made it to the top 200 list which includes IIT Bombay, IISc Bangalore, and IIT Delhi.
- In the QS World ranking 2021 IIT Bombay has been ranked at 172 while IIS Bangalore and IIT Delhi have taken up the 185th and 193rd positions.
- On the other hand in the QS World Ranking 2021, IIT Bombay has been placed at 152 while IIT Delhi and IISC Bangalore have been placed at 182nd and 184th place respectively.
Former European high jump champ Shustov banned for doping
The Court of Arbitration for Sport(CAS), informed that Former European high jump champion(2010) Alexander Shustov(35-year-old) of Russia banned for 4 years for the use or attempted use of a banned substance or method(doping) & did not provide any further details.
- The Russian Athletics Federation stated that his ban was dated from June 5, and his results had been disqualified for a period from 2013 to 2017.
- Headquarters– Lausanne, Switzerland
- President of the CAS Ordinary Division– Carole Malinvaud
Burundi: President Pierre Nkurunziza passes away
President Pierre Nkurunziza of Burundi died of heart failure on Monday just weeks after a crucial election to choose a successor to replace him after 15 years of autocratic rule over the Central African nation. He was 55.
- Between 2006 and 2011, the president was known for his preaching and love of football – received seven international awards for his peace-building efforts.
- Capital: Gitega.
- Currency: Burundian franc.
Padma Shri awardee Pritam Singh passes away
Singh was a former director of Indian Institute of Management, or IIM, Lucknow. He was also a former professor and dean of IIM-Bangalore
- He was a non-executive independent director on the board of Hero MotoCorp
- He was the recipient of Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Memorial Award: Teacher of Teachers in 2009 and the Vivekananda Foundation honoured him with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
J Anbazhagan, DMK MLA, dies of Covid-19 in Chennai
MLA J Anbazhagan died of Covid-19 while undergoing treatment in a hospital in Chennai on his 62nd birthday. He is the first legislator in the country to fall victim to Covid-19.
- Anbazhagan represented the Chepauk-Thiruvallikeni constituency in the Assembly.
- He was first elected to the Assembly from the T.Nagar constituency in 2001.
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|
|Online Classes||Click Here|