SS Kalpana Chawla Cargo Spacecraft launched by NASA to International Space Station. NASA (The National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched cargo spacecraft to the International Space Station. The spacecraft named NASA astronaut Kalpana Chawla, the first Indian woman reached the space, for her major participations to human spaceflight.
- The spacecraft was constructed by a Virginia based company Northrop Grunman.
- It currently holds space station resupply contract with NASA. It is an aerospace and defence technology company.
Significance of the Aircraft:
- The space craft has carried cancer treatment technique required to test cancer drugs in micro gravity conditions.
- The spacecraft has also carried a new space toilet called the Universal Waste Management System.
- It also carried a radish-growing experiment which will be used to learn about survival and feasibility of growing plants in space.
About Kalpana Chawla:
Kalpana Chawla was the first India-born woman to reach space. She flew in 1997 as a primary robotic arm operator and also as a mission specialist. The Columbia spacecraft collapsed during its return to earth that led to the death of the crew. The hot plasma entered the wing of the aircraft resulting in loss of control.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founded: 1 October 1958
1) Who is the first woman Space Traveller of India? – Kalpana Chawla
2) Which mission of NASA brought first human to moon? – Apollo program
3) Recently, NASA’s which longest living Space Telescope celebrated its 30th anniversary? – Hubble Space Telescope
4) Which is the first mission of NASA in which a spacecraft was reused? – Space Shuttle
5) Name the first manned mission of NASA? – STS-1
6) Name NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover Mission? – Sprit Rover
7) Recently, Indian Astronomers discover the farthest star galaxy that is detected by which satellite? – Astrosat
|Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|