Science and Technology Current Affairs in October 2019
In this we have given, October Month Science and Technology Current Affairs 2019 and other important events held on that day. This is very important for all Competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, RRB, and all PSC Examinations.
- Fast-moving Typhoon ‘Mitag’ is bearing down on northern Taiwan, where it is expected to bring high winds and heavy rain. Warnings have been issued for parts of the island’s east and north, including the capital, Taipei, with the worst of the weather expected to arrive.
India’s Vishnu Nandan among 300 researchers to join largest ever Arctic expedition
- The 32-year-old polar researcher from Kerala Vishnu Nandan will be the only Indian aboard the multidisciplinary drifting observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate (MOSAiC) expedition.
- MOSAiC – Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate. It could be the largest-scale Arctic research expedition of all time.
Cyclone Kyarr moves away from West coast
- Cyclone Kyarr, after a trail of destruction in Goa, moved away from the West Coast, with the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) forecasting reduction in the rainfall.
- The Weather Department, has, however, asked fisherman not to venture into the Sea for the next 24 hours due to rough weather conditions and gusty winds.
- A meeting of the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC), chaired by the Cabinet Secretary, Shri Rajiv Gauba, was held to review the preparations for the cyclone MAHA over the Comorin and adjoining Lakshadweep Islands.
- IMD informed that the Depression that had developed in the Comorin Sea, has now intensified into a Cyclonic storm. It is likely to cross Lakshadweep Islands by the noon of 31st October 2019 as a Severe Cyclonic Storm and emerge thereafter into the east Central Arabian Sea.
India is home to Asia’s oldest bamboo
- An international team of researchers found two fossil compressions or impressions of bamboo culms (stems) and after further study noted them to be new species.
- They were named Bambusiculmus tirapensis and B. makumensis – as they were found in the Tirap mine of Makum Coalfield in Assam. These belonged to the late Oligocene period of about 25 million years ago.
5.2 Space Science
International Astronomical Union names asteroid after Pandit Jasraj
- The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named an asteroid, discovered in 2006, after Indian classical singer Pandit Jasraj.
- “Sangeet Martand Pandit Jasraj (b. 1930) is an exponent of Indian classical vocal music.
- The asteroid, or more formally known as a minor planet, is located between Mars and Jupiter, and was discovered on November 11, 2006, by the Catalina Sky Survey, whose telescopes are based in Arizona in the United States.
World’s first female spacewalking team makes history
- The world’s first female spacewalking team made history high above Earth, floating out of the International Space Station to fix a broken part of the power network.
- As NASA astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir completed the job with wrenches, screwdrivers and power-grip tools, it marked the first time in a half-century of spacewalking that men weren’t part of the action.
5.3 App & Web Portal
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches eDantseva website and mobile application
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched the eDantseva website and mobile application, the first ever national digital platform on oral health information and knowledge dissemination in New Delhi.
- This marks an important milestone as e-DantSeva will reach out to more than one billion people with one click in the form of a dedicated website and mobile application.
Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launches Def Expo 2020 website
- Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the website of 11th edition of DefEXpo, to be held in Lucknow from 05 – 08 February, 2020,. The website, www.defexpo.gov.in, provides online services to exhibitors, besides hosting informative content about the product profile of DPSUs and Ordnance Factories.
Ministry of Tourism launches Audio Guide facility App “Audio Odigos”
- Shri Yogendra Tripathi , Secretary, Ministry of Tourism launched the Audio Guide facility Audio Odigos for 12 sites of India(including Iconic Sites).
- Audio Odigos was lanunched for the benefit of the tourists. Audio guide odigo offers Government of India verified content, with visuals & voice over support.
PRAKASH portal for transparency and better coordination in coal supplies to power plants
- The Union Minister Shri RK Singh and Shri Pralhad Joshi jointly launched PRAKASH (Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony) portal
- . The Portal aims at bringing better coordination for coal supplies among all stakeholders viz – Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal, Coal India, Railways and power utilities. This is an important step in ensuring adequate availability and optimum utilization of coal at thermal power plants.
Mobile App, “mHariyali” Launched for ‘Environment Protection in Government Colonies’ Website
- Shri Hardeep S Puri, Minister of State(I/c) for Housing & Urban Affairs launching the mobile app, “mHariyali,”, . The app is aimed to encourage Public engagement in planting trees and other such Green drives. People can now upload information/photos of any plantation done by them, which is linked to app and will be displayed on the website www.epgc.gov.in.
DPIIT launches website and mobile app for IPR
- Secretary Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Guruprasad Mohapatra launched the website and mobile application [Learn to Protect, Secure and Maximize Your Innovation] on Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) in New Delhi.
- The website and app has been developed by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM)-DPIIT in collaboration with Qualcomm and National Law University (NLU), Delhi.
App to assist fisherman launched in Tamilnadu
- Department of Fisheries, Tamil Nadu Govt has pioneered with National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR) to develop THOONDIL an android application that integrates modern science and technology to assist fisherman community.
- This app provides near real time information like weather forecast, potential fishing zone, high tide, cyclone alert etc. and addresses shore to shore needs of the Fishing community.
- This application acts an effective decision support tool thereby saving innumerable lives in sea during Natural disasters.
Prahlad Singh Patel to inaugurate CCRT e-portal and YouTube Channel
- Union Minister of state for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated e-portal of Centre for Cultural Resources and Training and YouTube Channel in New Delhi with an aim to take India to a newer digital pinnacle and to promote Indian culture.
- In order to explore & understand the unknown aspects of India’s lesser known places and their rural and semi-urban culture, CCRT has started publishing books from the series “Untold Tales of India’s Cities”.
Spatial Planning Application ‘Gram Manchitra’ launched
- Union Minister for Panchayati Raj Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, launched a Spatial Planning Application called ‘Gram Manchitra’ which is a Geo Spatial based decision support system for the panchayats. The panchayats can utilize this App to plan, develop and monitor developmental activities on real time basis.
2019 All Current Affairs Capsule Download – Click Here
General Knowledge Study Materials Click Here for Download
All subject Study Materials Click Here for Download
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|