Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) has formulated the Accessible India Campaign i.e Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
- It is a nation-wide campaign for achieving universal accessibility for PwDs.
- It aims to enable persons with disabilities to gain universal access, equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in an inclusive society in all aspects of life.
- It is in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) to which India is a signatory.
- The campaign targets three separate verticals for achieving universal accessibility namely the built up environment, transportation eco-system and information & communication eco-system.
- DEPwD is collaborating with Ministry of Home, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and Ministry of Tourism for this.
- Targets under the campaign -Envisages making all railway stations of A1, A & B categories and the international airports fully accessible to the disabled.
- Conducts accessibility audit of all the international airports, domestic airports, major railway stations.
- Seeks to convert at least 10% of government owned public transport carriers in the country fully accessible carriers for disabled persons by March 2018.
- At least 50% of all public documents by the Central and State Governments to meet accessibility standards for persons with disabilities by March 2018.
Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme
- It is to create an enabling environment to ensure equal opportunities, equity, social justice and empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- It encourages voluntary action for ensuring effective implementation of the people with disabilities (equal opportunities and protection of rights) act of 1995.
- The definition of disability includes Blindness, Low vision, Leprosy-cured, Hearing impairment, Loco motor disability, Mental retardation and Mental illness.
- Parents/guardians and voluntary organisations are encouraged to provide rehabilitation services.
- To provide financial assistance to facilitate delivery of various services to voluntary organizations‘ grants-in-aid to NGOS.
Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
- It is a scheme for providing physical aids and assisted-living devices for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The scheme will address disabilities like low vision, hearing impairment, loss of teeth and locomotor disability with such assisted living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions.
- The devices will be distributed in camp mode and will be implemented by ̳Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO) ̳, a Public Sector Undertaking under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- This is a Central Sector Scheme, fully funded by the Central Government.
- The expenditure for implementation of the scheme will be met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”.
- Beneficiaries in each district will be identified by the State Governments/UT Administrations through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector.
Swachhta Udyami Yojana
- It aims to provide livelihood to SafaiKaramcharis and liberated Manual Scavengers and also promote cleanliness.
- National Safari Karmacharis Finance & Development Corporation (NSKFDC) is implementing the scheme.
- NSKFDC provides concessional loan to
- Entrepreneurs among safaikarmacharis and identified manual scavengers including women beneficiaries.
- For viable community toilet projects and sanitation related vehicles to collect the garbage, to consolidate the ongoing efforts for realising the objectives of the ̳Swachh Bharat Abhiyan‘ .
Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase / Fitting of Aids and Appliances
- The main objective of the ADIP scheme is to provide latest and modern aids and assistive devices to the Divyangjan to promote their physical, social and psychological rehabilitation and to enhance their economic
- Major aids and assistive devices to be distributed under ADIP Scheme are Motorized Tricycles, Tricycles Conventional, Wheelchairs, Crutches, Walking Sticks, Brail kits, Brail Slate, Hearing Aids etc.,
- Gwalior district of Madhya Pradesh has taken an initiative to become the first ̳Divyang Mitra‘ district of the country.
- Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) is the implementing agency of this scheme.
Inter Caste Marriage Scheme
- Dr Ambedkar scheme for social Integration through inter caste marriage‖ was with an objective to provide monetary incentive to at least 500 such inter-caste couples per year.
- As per rules, such couples whose total annual income does not exceed Rs 5 lakh are eligible to get a one-time incentive of Rs 2.5 lakh from the Centre.
- This is to enable them to settle down in the initial phase of their married life.
- The other pre-conditions were that it should be their first marriage, and it should be registered under the Hindu Marriages Act, with the proposal being submitted within a year of marriage.
- The target for each state is fixed in proportion to its share of Scheduled Caste population, though states are allow to exceed their targets.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has recently scrapped the condition of the total income exceed Rs.5 lakh per annum and now there will be no income limit for incentive under the scheme‖.
- It has also made it mandatory for the couples to submit their Aadhaar numbers and details of their Aadhaar linked joint bank account.