Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises Schemes
FAME India Scheme:
- Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME) was launched in 2015.
- Its objective is to support hybrid/electric vehicles market development and Manufacturing eco-system.
- The scheme was initially upto April 2017.
- It has been extended upto 31st March, 2019 or till Notification of FAME-II.
- In phase II, the government is targeting a fully (100%) electric fleet for public transport, including buses, taxis and auto-rickshaws.
- At present, there are no plans to subsidize expensive battery components of electric vehicles in the Department of Heavy Industry, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises.
- However, R&D projects and EV technologies, including for battery development, are being supported under the Scheme.
- At present, the incentive is being offered on purchase of strong hybrid and electric cars, two-wheelers and three-wheelers.
- The inter-ministerial panel that has recently finalised the roadmap for the II phase, decided to offer subsidy to all categories of electric vehicles, including two-wheelers, three-wheelers and four-wheelers.