Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology Schemes
- Stree Swabhiman is an initiative for promoting women‘s menstrual health and hygiene.
- Under this initiative, Common Service Centres (CSC) will provide access to affordable, reliable and modern (eco-friendly) sanitary napkins to adolescent girls and women in rural areas.
- The initiative is driven by awareness and personalized outreach by women entrepreneurs who produce and market sanitary napkins by village level entrepreneus (VLE) and self help groups.
- VLE will distribute the pads to girls in the primary and secondary schools in their village, encompassing girls from 7th to 12th grade.
- Under this initiative, semi-automatic and manual sanitary napkin manufacturing units will be set up at CSC for producing sanitary napkins.
- The manufacturing unit will be operated by women entrepreneurs and generate employment for women.
- Thus the scheme is conceptualized to create avenues for the rural and semi-urban women to become self- reliant and also progress towards a healthy eco-friendly lifestyle.
- Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) mobile app allow citizens to access government services on a single platform.
- The services live on the app include Aadhaar, DigiLocker, Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) among others.
- It is expected to provide access to over 1,200 services of various government organisations in states and at the Centre as well as utility payments.
- Using the app, citizens will be able to access Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) services, apply for a new PAN, and can register under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- The app is developed and operated by National e-Governance Division of MeitY.
- Employee Provident Fund Organization has launched the facility of linking Aadhaar with universal account number (UAN), through UMANG mobile app.
- UAN is a unique 12-digit number assigned to an employee by EPFO India.
- UAN helps employees manage their provident fund accounts online with ease and hassle free.
- When an employee changes an organization, his/her mutual fund member ID also changes.
- UAN was introduced to link multiple Member Identification Numbers allotted to a single individual by the employer.
National Supercomputing Mission
- The mission aims to connect national academic and R&D institutions with a supercomputing grid of over 70 high-performance computing facilities.
- Supercomputers will be installed across the country and will be networked on the National Supercomputing grid over the National Knowledge Network (NKN).
- It will be implemented by the Department of Science and Technology and Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) through Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) and IISc, Bangalore.
- The Mission also includes development of highly professional High Performance Computing (HPC) aware human resource for meeting challenges of development of these applications.
- The NKN is another programme of the government which connects academic institutions and R&D labs over a high speed network.
- India has recently granted contract to French technology firm to build 70 supercomputers under the National Supercomputing Mission.
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) provides nationwide common ICT infrastructure consisting of national and state ―Data Centres‖ to support e-Governance services to the citizen.
- National Knowledge Network (NKN) has been set up to connect institutions/organizations carrying out R&D, Higher Education and Governance with speed of the order of multi Gigabits per second.
- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) is under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It has been designated to serve as the national agency to collect, analyse and disseminate information on cyber incidents.
- Country‘s first NIC-CERT has been recently setup that will monitor, detect and prevent cyber attacks on government networks
- It uses various tools to gather intelligence to identify vulnerabilities and possible exploits thereby predicting cyber incidents.
Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme
- M-SIPS scheme aims to provide a special incentive package to boost domestic electronic product manufacturing sector and move towards Union Government‘s goal of ̳Net Zero imports‘ in electronics by 2020.
- It promotes large scale manufacturing in the Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) sector by
- Providing subsidy for capital expenditure upto 20% for investment in SEZ and 25% in non-SEZs.
- Providing reimbursement of duties and central taxes for projects with high capital investments.
- The incentives will be available for investments made within 5 years from the date of approval of the project.
- Unit receiving incentive will provide undertaking to remain in commercial production for at least 3 years.
Jatan and Darshak
- Centre for Development for Advanced Computing (C-DAC), has developed software named ―Jatan‖ that is set to revolutionize museum experience.
- The latest technology will help online visitors get a 3-Dimensional (3D) view of hundreds of artifacts displayed at the museums. The software will enable virtual tours to museums.
- The group has developed ―Darshak‖, a mobile-based application, aimed at improving the museum visit experience among the differently-abled.
- It allows real-time museum visitors gather all details about objects or artifacts simply by scanning a QR code placed near the object.
- C-DAC is the premier R&D organization of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) for carrying out R&D in IT, Electronics and associated areas.
- It is a programme to transform India into digital empowered society and knowledge economy.
- The scheme is coordinated by the department of Electronics and IT and implemented by all government departments.
- The scheme is to be monitored by a Digital India committee comprised of several ministers.
- The programme will be implemented in phases from the current year till 2018.
- Digital India has three core components. These includes
- The creation of digital infrastructure,
- Delivering services digitally,
- Digital literacy
- 9 Key points of Digital India Programme are
- Universal Access to Phones
- Broadband Highways
- Public Internet Access Programme
- e-Governance – Reforming government through Technology
- e-Kranti – Electronic delivery of services
- Information for All.
- Electronics Manufacturing – Target NET ZERO Imports
- IT for Jobs
- Early Harvest Programmes
- It is an umbrella programme which includes the hitherto National Optical Fiber Network (NOFN) to connect 2,50,000gram Panchayats by providing internet connectivity to all citizens.
- Digital India includes development of an electronic development fund and envisages Net-Zero Electronics Import Target by 2020.
Common Service Centres (CSC)
- Common Services Centers (CSC) scheme is one of the mission mode projects under the Digital India Programme, Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- CSCs are the access points for delivery of Government to Citizen essential public utility services, social welfare schemes, healthcare, financial, education and agriculture services, apart from host of B2C services to citizens in rural and remote areas of the country.
Cyber Swachhta Kendra
- It is a malware analysis centre aims to create a secure cyber space by detecting botnet infections in India and to notify, enable cleaning and securing systems of end-users to prevent further infections.
- The systems will be scanned by the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-in) for free of all those users who register to the CSK website.
- This centre will work in coordination with the internet service providers (ISPs) and Industry.
- This Kendra will also enhance awareness among citizens regarding botnet and malware infection along with measures to be taken to secure their devices.
- It is part of Digital India initiative.
Cyber Surakshit Bharat
- It aims to spread awareness about cybercrime and building capacity for safety measures for Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) and frontline IT staff across all government departments.
- It is the first PPP of its kind and will leverage the expertise of the IT industry in cybersecurity.
- It aims to conduct a series of training programs for departments in State and Union governments, Public Sector Banks, and technical arms of the Air Force, Army and Navy.
Cyber Shikshaa Initiative
- Project Cyber Shikshaa focus on skilling women engineering graduates in the niche field of Cyber Security.
- It is launched by Microsoft & Data Security Council of India (DSCI) in association with Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY).
- The primary objective is to connect with underserved women from Tier 2 / Tier 3 cities and to align a career path for them in Cyber Security.
- Centre of Advance Computing (CDAC) will impart training to the selected women candidates from all over India.
- Initially, the project will be rolled out in the following cities – Noida, Patna, Hyderabad and Mohali, followed by other cities in the next phase.
- The program will be a 4-months interactive training course with combination of theory, case studies practical hands-on and projects.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan
- PMGDISHA is the new scheme to make rural households digitally literate by 2019.
- This scheme is initiated under Digital India Programme and expected to be one of the largest digital literacy programs in the world.
- It would empower the citizens by providing them access to information, knowledge and skills for operating computers/digital access devices.
India BPO Promotion Scheme
- IBPS aims at setting up business process outsourcing (BPO) units in rural areas to secure balanced regional growth of the industry.
- It is under the Digital India Programme to create employment opportunities for the youth living in rural areas so that they do not need to migrate to urban clusters.
- It provides capital support along with special incentives up to Rs 1 lakh in the form of viability gap funding (VGF) to companies to create BPO units.
- Disbursement of financial support under the schemes is directly linked with employment generation.
- It provides special incentives for employment to women and Divyang, setting up operations in towns other than capital towns, generating employment beyond target and promoting local entrepreneurship.
- There are also special provisions for the Himalayan states of Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand
- Metro cities such as Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, National Capital Region (NCR), and Pune, along with their urban agglomeration were excluded.
North East BPO promotion Scheme
- NEBPS is envisaged under Digital India Programme , seeks to incentivize establishment of 5,000 seats in respect of BPOs and IT Enabled Service operations in North East Region (NER).
- NEBPS provides the financial supports and special incentives in the form of Viability Gap Funding (VGF) to eligible Companies based on generation of new employment and economic activity in ITES sector.
- Financial Support – It provides up to 50% of expenditure incurred on BPO/ITES operations towards capital expenditure and/or operational expenditure subject to an upper ceiling of Rs. 1 Lakh/Seat.
- Special Incentives – It provides financial support of Rs.1 Lakh/Seat for training expenditure and providing employment to Women and Persons with disability.
- Incentive for promoting local entrepreneur – Special Incentive (5% of eligible financial support) for units setting up BPO/ITES operations as a consortium with local entrepreneur
- A Company seeking to avail financial support under this scheme, shall be under obligation not to claim the similar financial support from any other Scheme of the Central/State Government concerned.
- Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) is the implementing agency of the India BPO promotion Scheme and North East BPO promotion Scheme.
- STPI is a society established in 1991 by the MeitY with the objective of encouraging, promoting and boosting the export of software from India.
- One of the main requisites for the pensioners to avail pension is to provide Life Certificates (LCs).
- Jeevan Pramman aims to streamline the process of getting LCs by making it hassle free and easier to get.
- It is an AADHAR Biometric Authentication based digital life certificates for Pensioners and facilitates online submission.
- It will do away with the requirement of a pensioner having to submit a physical LC every year, in order to ensure continuity of pension being credited into their account.
- Digital Submission also ensures authenticity of pension payments.
- A secure dedicated personal electronic space for storing the documents of resident Indian citizens will be created.
- It is to provide citizens a shareable private space on a public cloud.
- The space can be utilized for storing personal documents like University certificates, PAN cards, voter id cards, etc., and the URI’s of the e-documents issued by various issuer departments.
- It is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus eliminating the use of physical documents.
- There is also an associated facility for e-signing documents.
Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme
- It is launched with the intent to enhance India‘s competitiveness in knowledge intensive sectors.
- Its objective is to enhance the number of PhDs in Electronics System Design & Manufacturing (ESDM) and IT/IT Enabled Services (IT/ITES) sectors in the country.
- The salient features of the scheme are
- 25% more fellowship amount than most of the other PhD Schemes.
- Part-time PhD candidates get onetime incentive on completion of the PhD.
- Supports 200 Young Faculty Research Fellowships in the areas of ESDM and IT/ITES with the objective to retain and attract bright young faculty members in these sectors.