Ministry for Development of NE Region Schemes
North East Rural Livelihood Project:
- It is a central Sector scheme externally aided by World Bank and implemented in four North Eastern States namely Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- The objective is to improve livelihoods of the poor, especially that of women and the disadvantaged people in the project area.
- The identification of Districts for the project was done by the State Governments based on social and economic backwardness.
- It is supported by World Bank.
- Desired Outcomes –
- Making the SHGs promoted and supported by the project sustainable,
- Increasing the income level of the members of the SHGs (at least 60% of them) and disadvantaged households by 30% in real term
- Providing jobs or self employment to the unemployed youths through various skill trainings, entrepreneurship development trainings, vocational trainings and management development trainings.
- The more vulnerable tribal groups like Reang in Tripura and Lepsha and Bhutias in Sikkim will also benefit from it.
North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme:
- The Union Cabinet has recently approved new scheme NESIDS to fill up the gaps in creation of infrastructure in specified sectors till March, 2020.
- It is a central sector scheme which will be funded 100% by the Central Government.
- It covers,
- Physical infrastructure relating to water supply, power, connectivity and specially the projects promoting tourism
- Infrastructure of social sectors of education and health.
- Thus it will not only strengthen health care and education facilities in the region but will also encourage tourism and employment opportunities for local youth.
Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources:
- The Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) was created in 1997–98.
- It is the accrual of the unspent balance of the mandatory 10% budgetary allocation of the Ministries/Departments.
- The broad objectives of the NLCPR Scheme is to ensure speedy development of infrastructure in North eastern states and Sikkim by way of filling the existing infrastructural gaps in the region by making funds available from the pool.
- The accruals in NLCPR are utilized by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region under the two Schemes of NLCPR (State) and NLCPR-Central.
- Under the NLCPR (State) Scheme, priority projects of North Eastern States are being funded and under NLCPR-Central Scheme, funds are provided to Central Ministries for implementing projects of national and regional importance.
- Recently, cabinet has approved NLCPR scheme till March, 2020 with funding pattern of 90:10.