May 21 Current Affairs
Ceremony of ancient Dance Drama “Ashtapadiyattam”
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurating the revival ceremony of ancient Dance Drama “Ashtapadiyattam” which is “Gita Govindam” written by 12th century poet Jayadeva, in Guruvayur, Kerala.
Nipah Virus in Kozhikode
- Shri J P Nadda assures all support to Kerala Government to manage Nipah Virus; Sends a multi-disciplinary Central team to investigate the outbreak.
A high-tech tiger census in Andhra Pradesh
- The authorities have for the first time used a new app Tigers – Intensive Protection and Ecological Status (M-StrIPES) to avoid human error in the traditional recording of the pugmarks and other signs during the carnivore sign survey.
130 years of Indian Railways iconic station: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus building
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (earlier Victoria Terminus) has completed 130 years of its construction on 20th May 2018. The present day Headquarters building of Central Railway popularly known as Victoria Terminus (now Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus) is an architectural marvel.
Australian state government proposes protecting wild horses
- An independent scientific committee recently found that brumbies were endangering more than 20 plant species and seven animal species, including three endangered frogs, in the park.
- An Australian state government has decided to legally protect rather than kill thousands of wild horses, infuriating scientists who argue the feral species is doing severe environmental damage to the country’s iconic Snowy Mountains alpine region.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Strategic Petroleum Reserve
- India receives the 1st cargo of ADNOC crude oil for its Mangalore Startegic Petroleum Reserve from Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) of UAE
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Informal Summit between India and Russia
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Vladimir Putin held their first informal Summit in the city of Sochi in the Russian Federation on May 21, 2018.
- The Summit provided an occasion for both leaders to deepen their friendship and to exchange views on international and regional issues, in keeping with the tradition of high level political exchanges between India and Russia.
71st World Health Assembly
- Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare addresses at the Plenary Meeting of the 71st World Health Assembly, at Geneva also addressed the Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting and spoke about the global fight against Non-Communicable Disease (NCDs).
- Theme: Health for All: Commit To Universal Health Coverage.
- India’s ambitious plan to end TB by 2025, the Government has started the implementation of the National Strategic Plan for TB and allocated 550 million dollars.
- A pilot project on ‘Integration of AYUSH with National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS)’ has been initiated.
National Conference on “Gender Justice in Criminal Law”
- Inaugural session of the National Conference on “Gender Justice in Criminal Law” organized by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D)
Workshop on Artificial Intelligence in National Security and Defence
- The Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the ‘Stakeholders’ Workshop on Artificial Intelligence in National Security and Defence, Listing of Use Cases’.
INSV Tarini completes historic Circumnavigation (Navika Sagar Parikrama)
- Indian Naval Sailing Vessel Tarini (INSV Tarini) entered Goa harbour and came alongside the INS Mandovi jetty on completion of a historic global circumnavigation voyage on 21 May 18.
- This is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew. The vessel was skippered by Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi, and the crew comprised Lieutenant Commanders Pratibha Jamwal, P Swathi, and Lieutenants S Vijaya Devi, B Aishwarya and Payal Gupta.
- The indigenously-built INSV Tarini is a 56-foot sailing vessel, which was inducted in the Indian Navy in February 2017, and has showcased the ‘Make in India’ initiative on the International forum.
CAS visit to Israel
- Chief of the Air Staff, Indian Air Force, is embarking on a four day visit to the State of Israel from 21st to 24th May 18. The CAS would attend a conference themed ‘Air Superiority as a Bridge to Regional Stability’, as part of 70th anniversary celebrations of the Israel Air Force.
Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos tested successfully
- Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was successfully fired from a test range along the Odisha coast to validate some new features.
- The trial was conducted to validate its “life extension” technologies developed for the first time by DRDO and team BrahMos.
- Mission Innovation is a global platform of 23 countries and European Union aimed at accelerating clean energy innovations through enhanced Government funding, greater public-private sector partnership and enhanced global cooperation.
- Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, Environment, Forests and Climate Change Dr. Harsh Vardhan will be leading an Indian delegation for participation in the Mission Innovation Ministerial being held at Malmo-Sweden during 22-23 May, 2018.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
Census 2021 likely to have 2,231 new census towns
- There are 2,231 villages that are likely to be declared new census towns for the upcoming census, says a recent study by the Centre for Policy Research (CPR).
- European Golden Shoe – Lionel Messi has won the award for the record five times.
- Nicolas Maduro – Venezuela President
Rafael Nadal won the Italian Open Final Tennis
- Rafael Nadal beat defending champion Alexander Zverev in the Italian Open final.
- The win gave the Spaniard his 56th title on clay and he will reclaim the world number one ranking from Roger Federer.
Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Hockey
- Defending Champions Indian Women’s Hockey Team lost to hosts South Korea 0-1 in the Final match of the 5th Women’s Asian Champions Trophy played here at the Sunrise Stadium.