May 02:International Scurvy Awareness Day
International Scurvy Awareness Day is celebrated on 2 May. Scurvy, a condition typified by tiredness, muscle weakness, joint and muscle aches, rash on the legs and bleeding gums, is caused by a lack of Vitamin C. Interestingly, Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, got it’s name from ‘scorbutus’, the Latin name for scurvy.
CRI Pumps bags Rs.150 cr. pump order from EESL
- CRI Pumps, a fluid management solution provider, has bagged orders worth 150 crore from Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) to replace 43,452 agricultural pumpsets in Andhra Pradesh with five star-rated energy efficient ones.
KIIFB approval for projects in Wayanad
- The Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) has given approval to projects valued at Rs.192.06 crore in Wayanad district during the current fiscal.
Durg- Ferozpur New Antyodaya Express
- A new weekly train no 22895/22896 Durg-Ferozpur-Durg Antyodaya Express was inaugurated by Shri Rajen Gohain, Minister of State for Railways & Dr. Raman Singh, Chief Minister, Chattisgarh.
Online Event Clearance System for foreign nationals
- Union Home Secretary Shri Rajiv Gauba launched the online Event Clearance System (https://conference.mha.gov.in) for grant of security clearance to the conference/seminar/workshop organized in India.
Doubling of Investment Limit for Senior Citizens from Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs.15 lakh under Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY)
- The Union Cabinet chaired by chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for extending the investment limit from Rs 7.5 lakhs to Rs 15 lakhs as well as extension of time limits for subscription from 4th May 2018 to 31st March, 2020 under the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY) as part of Government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
Restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi today has approved the proposal for renaming and restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK).
- CCEA has also approved its continuation during the remaining period of the 14th Finance Commission. The restructured programme would provide better socio economic infrastructure facilities to the minority communities particularly in the field of education, health & skill development as compared to the present situation.
National Committee for Commemoration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, chaired the first meeting of the National Committee for the Commemoration of the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, at Rashtrapati Bhavan May 2, 2018.
Chennai, Lucknow, Guwahati airports get Cabinet nod for new terminals
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to for expansion and upgradation of integrated terminals at Chennai, Guwahati & Lucknow Airports.
Biggest Airport, after Mumbai, to be developed in Mopa, Goa
- A joint team of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Commerce Logistics Department will visit Goa on 7th-8thMay 2018 to facilitate the development of cargo hubs at the new airport to be constructed at Mopa inGoa.
Continuation of Umbrella Scheme ‘Green Revolution — Krishonnati Yojana’ in Agriculture Sector
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for the Umbrella Scheme, “Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana” in agriculture sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan.
- The Umbrella scheme comprises of 11 Schemes/Missions.These schemes look to develop the agriculture and allied sector in a holistic and scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity and better returns on produce.
India- South Africa Business Summit Concludes in Johannesburg
- Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, attended India- South Africa business summit from April 29-30, 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
WHO polluted cities list
- Of the 20 most polluted world cities, 14 of them are in India
- At 143 microgrammes/cubic metre, Delhi’s PM (2.5) levels in 2016 — as reported by the WHO — made it the sixth most polluted city in the world.
- Kanpur and Varanasi led the list of the world’s most polluted cities, with Faridabad, Gaya, Patna, Lucknow, Agra, Muzaffarpur, Srinagar, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Patiala and Jodhpur also figuring in 20 most-polluted cities in the world.
Kotak Securities launches Free Intraday Trading facility
- Domestic brokerage Kotak Securities has launched ‘Free Intraday Trading’, a facility that allows investors to do intra-day trading without paying any brokerage per trade.
NASA sending robotic geologist to Mars to dig super deep
- NASA is sending a robotic geologist to dig deeper than ever before to take the planet’s temperature.
- It will be NASA’s first interplanetary mission launched from somewhere other than Florida’s Cape Canaveral.
- The Mars InSight spacecraft, set to launch this weekend, will also take the planet’s pulse by making the first measurements of “marsquakes.” And to check its reflexes, scientists will track the wobbly rotation of Mars on its axis to better understand the size and makeup of its core.
- S. is the only country to have successfully landed and operated spacecraft on Mars. The 1976 Vikings were the first landing successes. The most recent was the 2012 Curiosity rover.
FIH comes up with Hockey Series
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) has launched what it calls the Hockey Series, as one of the ways to qualify for Olympics 2020 and future World Cups starting 2022.
Indian team for World Race Walk
- A nine-member Indian team will take part in the IAAF World Race Walk team championship to be held in Taicang, China, on May 5 and 6.