May 16 Current Affairs
Chhattisgarh’s red zone to get commercial air connectivity from June 15
- The UDAN services will link Bastar aerially with Raipur and Visakhapatnam that are well connected with major cities in the country by air.
Tokkuttu station chugs into history
- Tokkuttu, serving as a satellite railway station south of Mangaluru Central, has become part of history with the railway authorities deciding to wind up the station with effect from 16.05.2018.
Govt to promote Neera as global brand
- A high-level meeting convened by Agriculture Minister V.S. Sunil Kumar decided to promote Neera, a non- alcoholic beverage extracted from coconut tree, as a health drink in the international market.
Sir Arthur Cotton’s birth anniversary celebrated
- The 215th birth anniversary of Sir Arthur Cotton, the legendary British irrigation engineer who was instrumental in the construction of anicuts across rivers Godavari and Krishna, was celebrated by the members of Krishna Delta Parirakshana Samiti, Institution of Engineers and farmers’ unions.
First City Gas Distribution (CGD) network
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the state’s first City Gas Distribution (CGD) network at Rudrapur in Udham Singh Nagar district.
- It is the country’s eighth City Gas Distribution (CGD) system. The 500 kilometer long pipeline will be completed by 2020 and provide employment to 2,000 people.
India’s first railway station run by solar power.
- Guwahati now has India’s first solar powered railway station.
V.K. Singh makes surprise visit to North Korea
- In a surprise development, Minister of State for External Affairs Gen. (Retd.) V.K.Singh has reached Pyongyang for talks with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) government.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
International Rail Coach Expo to be hosted by Integral Coach Factory Chennai
- For the first time International Rail Coach Expo (IRCE) to focus on Rail Coaches and train sets, is being held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, from 17th to 19th May, 2018, in the ICF RPF Parade Grounds, Chennai.
- It will be a unique platform to bring different suppliers under one roof and create synergy for “Make in India”.
Infosys sets up blockchain-based trade finance network with seven banks
- Infosys Ltd. has formed a blockchain-based trade finance network with seven private-sector banks, to increase security and efficiency in the banking sector while also broadening its product offering.
BSE, first Indian exchange to get US SEC recognition
- BSE, Asia’s oldest stock exchange, has become the first Indian exchange to be recognised as a designated offshore securities market (DOSM) by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
MoU between India and France
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Indian Railways and SNCF Mobilites (a company owned by the French State) on Technical Cooperation in the field of Railways.
- The MoUs provide a platform for Indian Railways to interact and share the latest developments and knowledge in the railway sector.
MoU between India and Morocco
- MoU for cooperation in the legal field between India and Morocco, in order to share their experience and expertise in the field of law and legislation.
- MoU between India and Morocco in the field of mining and geology.
MoU between India and Swaziland
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Swaziland on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
MoU between India and Suriname
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Suriname on cooperation in the field of electoral management and administration including exchange of knowledge and experience in the field of organizational and technical development of electoral process.
MoU between India and Equatorial Guinea
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Equatorial Guinea for Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation in the field of Medicinal Plants between India and Equatorial Guinea.
MoU between India and Colombia
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Colombia on establishing cooperation on Traditional Systems of Medicine of India.
Setting up of a new AIIMS in Deoghar, Jharkhand
- The Union Cabinet approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, Jharkhand under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
Signing and ratification of Agreement between India and Brunei Darussalam
- The Union Cabinet approved the signing and ratification of Agreement between India and Brunei Darussalam for the Exchange of Information and Assistance in Collection with respect to Taxes.
Setting up of a Central University in Andhra Pradesh
- The Union Cabinet has given its in-principle approval for establishing a Central University by the name of “Central University of Andhra Pradesh” in Janthaluru Village of Ananthapur District, Andhra Pradesh.
Boost to Metro connectivity
- Approval for Extension of Delhi Metro corridor from Noida City Centre to Sector-62, Noida, Uttar Pradesh covering a length of 6.675 k.m
Establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation at Bhopal
- The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) at Bhopal as a Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 under the aegis of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
Cabinet approves strengthening the mechanism for resolution of commercial disputes of Central Public Sector Enterprises
- The Union Cabinet has approved the strengthening of the mechanism for resolution of commercial disputes of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) inter se and also between CPSEs and other Government Departments/Organizations. The Cabinet decision is based on recommendations of the Committee of Secretaries (CoS).
Cabinet approves National Policy on Biofuels – 2018
- The Policy categorises biofuels as “Basic Biofuels” 1) First Generation (1G) bioethanol & biodiesel and “Advanced Biofuels” 2) Second Generation (2G) ethanol, Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) to drop-in fuels, 3) Third Generation (3G) biofuels, bio-CNG etc. to enable extension of appropriate financial and fiscal incentives under each category.
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves Freight Village
- Cabinet approves development of Trunk Infrastructure Components for Integrated Multi Modal Logistics Hub known as “Freight Village” at Nangal Chaudhary in Haryana under Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Project.
Corpus for Micro Irrigation Fund with NABARD
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved an initial Corpus of Rs.5,000 crore for setting up of a dedicated “Micro Irrigation Fund” (MIF) with NABARD under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
Cabinet approves enhancement of budget for implementation of Network for Spectrum for Defence Services
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved for enhancement of budget by Rs.11,330 crore for Network For Spectrum (NFS) project for laying of alternate communication network for Defence Services for release of spectrum over and above Rs.13,334 crore already approved by Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure in July, 2012.
- The project, being implemented by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), will be completed in a period of 24 months.
3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2017-18
- Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare releases 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2017-18.
- Country witnesses record food grains production in current year estimated at 279.51 million tones.
Inter-Ministerial Task Force
- An Inter-Ministerial Task Force (IMTF) was constituted to undertake a comprehensive review of existing coal sources of Independent Power Producers (IPPs) having linkages and consider the feasibility for rationalization of these sources with a view to optimize transportation cost, given the various technical constraints.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Oman – India Joint Business Council
- A group of about 30 young business leaders from Oman, who are part of the Oman India Joint Business Council, called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Conference on National IPR Policy
- The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), a professional body under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, is organizing a conference on successful completion of two years of the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy adopted by the Government of India in May 2016 in New Delhi.
SCO Culture Ministers’ meet
- Mahesh Sharma to take part in the 15th Meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Cultural Ministers at Sanya, China.
- India to attend the SCO Culture Ministers’ meet for the first time.
- India became full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on 9th June, 2017 during the SCO Heads of State Summit in Astana, Kazakhstan.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
Swachhata Survekshan 2018
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 assessed 4203 Urban Local Bodies and was organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), under the aegis of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban).
- Winners – Indore, Bhopal & Chandigarh Emerge as The Top 3 Cleanest Cities in The Country.
National Geoscience Awards, 2017
- The President of India, Shri Ram NathKovind, presented the National Geoscience Awards on May 16, 2018 in New Delhi.
- India will host the 36th International Geological Congress in 2020.
Brazil honour for State industrialist
- Mullapudi Narendranath, Joint Managing Director of Andhra Sugars Limited, was honoured by two Brazilian States for his contribution in the conservation and improvement of the Ongole cattle in India.
Shashank Manohar to remain ICC chairman
- Shashank Manohar has been re-elected chairman of the International Cricket Council for another two years, the sport’s world governing body.
Former Attorney-General has been appointed ‘eminent jurist’
- Former Attorney-General Mukul Rohatgi has been appointed “eminent jurist” in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee led by the Prime Minister, which will shortlist candidates for appointment as the anti-corruption ombudsman.
APP & WEBPORTAL
Suresh Prabhu launches Intellectual Property mascot – IP Nani
- The Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani at the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
Swachhata Pakhwada’ undertaken by DARPG
- Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice launched the “Swachhata Abhiyan” of the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- ‘Swachhata Pakhwada’ to renew and reinforce the concept of cleanliness among the officers and staff of the Department.
“Guidebook for Creating a Child Friendly and Protective Environment for Children in Contact with Railways’
- A “Guidebook for Creating a Child Friendly and Protective Environment for Children in Contact with Railways’,developed by National Commission for protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) in collaboration with Railway Children India, was launched by Shri Ashwini Lohani at an event held at the Habitat World.
Railways to install ‘panic button’ in trains for women safety
- To strengthen security of women passengers in trains, the North Eastern Railway (NER) plans to deploy women police personnel on trains during night hours as well as install ‘panic buttons’ in coaches.
FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia
- 2018 FIFA World Cup will be held in Russia from June 14 to July 15, 2018. A total of 64 matches will be played in 12 venues located in 11 cities. The final will be held at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.