MAY 14 CURRENT AFFAIRS
UNDP to set up skill development centre in Hyderabad
- Aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalised women by imparting skills training, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will soon set up a skill development centre at ‘Bharosa,’ an integrated support centre for distressed women and children here.
12,000 artefacts from Azhagankulam to be sent for carbon dating
- The State Archaeology Department is in the process of classifying more than 12,000 artefacts found at Azhangakulam in Ramanathapuram district and will send them for carbon dating.
- The artefacts found at the site include ivory objects, copper coins, quartz, crystals, iron smelters, furnace, potsherds and terracotta plates, among others.
- After successful implementation of the Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot System (ETPBS) for service voters in several States, the Election Commission will introduce it in the Chengannur Assembly bypoll.
- The ETPBS was developed by the Election Commission of India with the help of C-DAC and it was first used in a byelection in the Nellithope Assembly Constituency in Puducherry in 2016.
24 booths turn ‘pink’ across Mysuru
- ‘Sakhi’ booths (fully managed by women officers) set up for the first time in an election in Karnataka.
- The arrangement has been made for the first time in an election in the State.
- All-woman polling booths have been established across the 224 constituencies.
- In Mysuru district, 24 pink booths have been established with each constituency having two to three of them.
Second bird census conducted at Ranganathittu
- The second bird census of the season at Ranganathittu, Karnataka was conducted on 13.05.2018 to gather data of the bird species harboured in the bird sanctuary.
- There are 26 Ramsar sites in India, but none in Karnataka.
- Ranganathittu supports more than 3% of the world population of spot-billed pelicans and painted storks.
- (retd.) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore – New Minister of State with independent charge of the Ministry.
- Ministry of Finance to Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
China’s first home-built aircraft carrier begins sea trials
- China’s first entirely home-built aircraft carrier began sea trials on 13.05.2018 in a sign of the growing sophistication of the country’s domestic arms industry.
- China has the world’s largest navy in terms of numbers of ships, although it lags behind the U.S. in technology and combat capabilities.
Australian sets fastest summit record
- Australian climber Steve Plain scaled 8,850-metre (29,035-foot) Everest 117 days after beginning his mission in Antarctica completing his quest to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents .
- Polish climber Janusz Kochanski held the previous record for climbing the seven peaks, doing it in 126 days last year.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
DoT gives nod to Airtel-Telenor merger
- The Department of Telecom approved merger of Telenor India with Bharti Airtel, a move that will make the subscriber base of Sunil Mittal-led firm almost twice the size of new entrant Reliance Jio.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Nepal to hold BIMSTEC 2018
- Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli announced to host the 2018 Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit.
Army finalises ammunition project
- After years of deliberations, the Army has finalised a mega Rs.15,000-crore project under which a range of ammunition for its critical weapons and tanks will be produced indigenously to overcome long delays in imports and address the problem of a dwindling stockpile.
‘Samarth’- Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector
- A meeting of stakeholders on Samarth – Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector under the Skill India Mission was held in New Delhi to familiarize the stakeholders about the scheme and its guidelines.
- The broad objective of the new scheme is to skill the youth for gainful and sustainable employment in the textile sector covering the entire value chain of textiles, excluding spinning and weaving.
Govt unveils National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy
- To boost clean energy generation, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) unveiled a National Wind-solar Hybrid Policy that which seeks to promote new projects as well as hybridisation of the existing ones.
- The MNRE is also in the process of launching a scheme for new hybrid projects under this policy, which are 10 to 15 per cent cheaper than 100 per cent solar or wind projects.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
WPI inflation jumps to 3.18% in April
- The Centre on Monday notified that Wholesale Price Index (WPI)-based inflation stood at 3.18 percent in the month of April 2018.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- Celebrated wildlife photographer, biologist, conservationist and author Latika Nath unveiled her book titled “Hidden India”.
- Latika is India’s first female biologist with a doctorate in tigers and she was dubbed ‘The Tiger Princess’ by National Geographic.
International Children’s Film Festival of Kerala
- The first edition of the International Children’s Film Festival of Kerala will get underway here from 14.05.2018, with over 140 films, documentaries and short films set to be screened.
- Roger Federer replaced Rafa Nadal at the top in the latest ATP rankings released on 14.05.2018.
- Simona Halep will remain World No 1.
Indian U-16 football team wins title in Serbia, beats Tajikistan in final
- The Indian U-16 football team was crowned champions at the Four-Nation Tournament held in Serbia after they defeated Tajikistan 4-2 in the summit clash on 13.05.2018.