MAY 12,13 CURRENT AFFAIRS
May 12 – International Nurses Day 2018
Theme – “Nurses a Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right”
- It is the anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale, who is widely considered the founder of modern nursing.
May 12 – World Migratory Bird Day
Theme – “Unifying our Voices for Birds Conservation”
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the conservation of migratory birds and their habitats.
May 13 – Mothers Day
- Celebrated annually on second Sunday of May as a tribute to all mothers and motherhood.
- It is celebrated on various dates in many parts of the world.
Arunachal Pradesh cabinet approves recommendation for new airport
- The Arunachal Pradesh cabinet has approved the recommendation of the Nabam Rebia committee that was studying the feasibility of constructing a greenfield airport at Hollongi.
Vibrant 2019 to focus on trade along with investment
- The Gujarat government had its first meeting with some 18 government of India (GoI) secretaries on 10.05.2018, to discuss preparations for the 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investor Summit (VGGIS), which the government of India has been participating in since 2015.
Jammu & Kashmir government abolishes stamp duty for property in women’s names
- Jammu and Kashmir, the state Cabinet sanctioned abolition of stamp duty in case of property registered in both urban and rural areas, in the name of women.
NABARD annual status paper of 2018-19
- Western Maharashtra comprising six districts would have the most access to agriculture crop loan and long term credit at Rs 34,058.05 crore, of the total Rs 93,618.36 crore allotted for the entire state, says National Agriculture and Rural Development Bank (NABARD) in its annual status paper of 2018-19.
Singapore committed to keeping Tamil as an official language, says cabinet minister
- Tamil is one of Singapore’s four official languages used in parliament, in schools as mother’s tongue subject and supported by print and broadcast media as well as in all other officials events.
- It is also printed on currency notes along with English, Chinese and Malay.
North Korea to blow up nuke-site tunnels
- North Korea said that it would dismantle its nuclear test site in less than two weeks.
ISRO making green propellant
- Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have reported progress in the development of an environment-friendly propellant hydroxylammonium nitrate (HAN) to power satellites and spacecraft.
- The effort is to replace the conventional hydrazine rocket fuel, a highly toxic and carcinogenic chemical, with a greener propellant for future missions.
IISER Bhopal scientists decode peacock genome
- Researchers from Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Bhopal, sequenced the whole genome of the bird. This the first time the complete genome of peacock has been sequenced.
- Recently, genome sequencing has been used for the possible revival of New Zealand’s indigenous Moa bird.
NASA’s Mars Helicopter
- NASA said it will send a small helicopter to Mars as part of the U.S. space agency’s 2020 mission to place a next-generation rover on the Martian surface, marking the first time such an aircraft will be used on another world.
- The helicopter contains solar cells to charge its lithium-ion batteries and a heating mechanism to keep it warm during frigid nights.
Gene editing can make ‘chocolate trees’ disease resistant
- The cacao tree, which grows in tropical regions, produces the cocoa beans that are the raw material of chocolate.
- CRISPR stands for clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats.
- Gene editing is a way to modify an organism’s genome by precisely delivering a DNA-cutting enzyme, Cas9, to a targeted region of DNA, this would result in enhanced disease resistance.
SpaceX launches Bangladesh’s first communications satellite
- The Bangladeshi government’s first communications satellite, Bangabandhu-1, was placed into Earth orbit by SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.
- SpaceX is one of two private companies hired by NASA to ferry astronaut crews to the space station. The other is Boeing Co.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India Inc Invests over $4 bn in South Africa
- As many as 140 Indian companies with operations in South Africa have invested more than USD 4 billion and created 18,000 direct jobs, according to a report released.
- The CII-PwC report showcased the contribution of Indian companies beyond foreign direct investment (FDI) in South Africa, including key CSR and skill development initiatives.
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
Maharashtra signs MoU with GRIHA council for green buildings
- Maharashtra government the first state to sign an MoU with the Centres Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council to train state PWD officials to rate government buildings.
- To construct government complexes as green buildings which would minimise the use of electricity while optimising the use of natural light and non-conventional energy.
Kerala and NTPC sign MoU for increasing solar power generation
- The Kerala State Electricity Board has signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Thermal Power Corporation for increasing solar power generation in the state.
- The MoU also includes an agreement to set up a 15 MW solar power unit at the NTPC complex in Kayamkulam.
Peru and India sign MoU for cooperation in Renewable Energy Sector
- Top leadership of Peru has acknowledged that their country has a lot to learn and benefit from the success story of India and resolved with India to significantly enhance trade relations as the two countries celebrated 55 years of diplomatic ties in Lima on May 11, 2018.
- India and Peru signed an Agreement on Cooperation in New and Renewable Energy.
- Peru is a founder member of the International Solar Alliance, established with India taking the initiative.
Capital and largest city – Lima
Prime Minister – Mercedes Aráoz
President – Pedro Pablo Kuczynski
Currency – Sol (PEN)
Punjab signs MoU with UK firm for biogas plants to tackle paddy straw
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed for setting up of biogas and bio-CNG plants in the state to tackle the problem of paddy straw burning. The daily capacity of each plant will be around 100 MT of paddy straw intake.
Capital and largest city – London
Monarch – Elizabeth II
Prime Minister – Theresa May
Currency – Pound sterling
SUMMITS & CONFERENCES
Customs and Postal Department hold First ever Joint Conference
- Indian Customs and Department of India Posts held a First ever Joint Conference at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi to deliberate on streamlining of imports and exports by post.
Gujarat government is promoting Dholera as investment destination for defence manufacturing
- The Government of Gujarat is promoting the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR) as an ideal destination for investments in the defence manufacturing sector. Authorities plan to host a summit at Dholera ahead of the Vibrant Summit. Dholera is 110km from Ahmedabad.
Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission aims to conserve and develop indigenous breeds to increase milk productivity.
- Frozen Semen Station being set up in Maranga, Purnea under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission with 100% contribution from the Central Government.
Compensation Scheme for Women Victims/Survivors of Sexual Assault/other crimes
- The scheme has been prepared by National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) in consultation with Centre.
- The scheme empowers legal services authority to take suo motu cognizance of cases of sexual assault and acid attack to grant interim relief to victims.
RANKINGS & INDEXES
Clampdowns and Courage-South Asia Press Freedom Report 2017-18
- People in South Asian countries experienced at least 97 instances of Internet shutdown, a barometer on freedom of press and expression, between May 2017 and April 2018, with India alone accounting for 82 such cases, according to a UNESCO report.
- According to the Clampdowns and Courage-South Asia Press Freedom Report 2017-18, released recently by the UNESCO-International Federation of Journalists, Pakistan witnessed 12 instances of Internet shutdown, while Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka reported one such case each.
British Council awards for three Indian alumni of UK universities
- Professional Achievement Award – Saumya Saxena
- Social Impact Award – Ruchi Shah
- Entrepreneurial Award – Sushant Desai
- AR Rahman – ambassador to promote tourism in Sikkim.
- Mohit Chauhan (Bollywood playback singer) – Green Ambassador of the stateAPP & WEBPORTAL
- Defending, four-time World champion Lewis Hamilton extended his lead in the drivers’ World championship at the Spanish Grand Prix.
- It was the 64th victory of his career — only Michael Schumacher on 91 has more.
International Shooting Championship
- Gagan Narang bagged the gold in men’s air rifle in the International Shooting Championship on 13.05.2018.