MAY 10 CURRENT AFFAIRS
New sports authority governing council takes charge
- The new governing council of the Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh (SAAP) was sworn-in with P. Ankamma Chowdary as its chairman amidst a galaxy of personalities that included politicians, sports administrators, coaches, players, teachers and students of physical education, at the DRRMC indoor stadium.
Pawan Kalyan unfurls ‘largest’ Indian flag
- The largest Indian flag measuring 183 feet in length and 122 feet in breadth was unfurled on 10.05.2018 at NTR Stadium here coinciding with the anniversary of India’s First War of Independence of 1857.
Government launches safety plan at Kuntala waterfall
- The State government has launched efforts to make Kuntala waterfall in Adilabad district a safer place for visitors.
- The largest waterfall in Telangana is at present unsafe owing to some dangerous spots in the water pools at the foot of the fall.
- The government is planning to plug the dangerous crevices and fissures in the rock to eliminate the probability of drowning.
Tamil Nadu government declares Sirumalai West Forest as reserved forest
- The Tamil Nadu government has declared more than 173 hectares of Sirumalai West Forest in Dindigul district as reserved forest in a bid to protect its flora and fauna.A notification dated February 26, 2018, which was published on May 9, said that in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 16 of the Tamil Nadu Forest Act, 1882 (Tamil Nadu Act V of 1882), the specified area has been declared as reserve forest.
State’s 4th tiger reserve proposed in Chitrakoot
- The forest department has sent a proposal to the state government to develop Ranipur wildlife sanctuary as the fourth tiger reserve in UP.
- The reserve may become a habitat for tiger’s crossing over from Panna tiger reserve of Madhya Pradesh.
Israel’s Tahal group to visit Haryana
- Tahal group is a company in the field of waste-water management, micro-irrigation and infrastructure.
- It also has its headquarters in Gurgaon
- To help find solutions to such issues as rehabilitation of 8,000 ponds in villages, which are overflowing, waste-water recycling and its use for irrigation after treatment in Haryana.
World’s oldest elected leader
- Ninety-two-year-old Mahathir Mohamad sworn in as the world’s oldest elected leader after a stunning election win that swept Malaysia’s uninterrupted since its birth as an independent country in 1957.
India’s relief consignment for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- India has sent to Bangladesh its second relief consignment to help tens of thousands of displaced Rohingya Muslims who fled Myanmar following a military crackdown, triggering one of the world’s worst refugee crises.
- Indian Navy Ship INS Airavat sailed from Vishakhapatnam and reached Chattogram port (formerly Chittagong) Port handed over the relief consignment.
First carbon rich asteroid in Kuiper Belt
- Astronomers have discovered an unusual carbon-rich asteroid in the Kuiper Belt — the first of its kind to be confirmed in the cold outer reaches of the solar system.
- This object, designated 2004 EW95, likely formed in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and has been flung billions of kilometres from its origin to its current home in the Kuiper Belt, the study said.
Fungus that attacks frogs originated in East Asia
- The Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd,chytrid fungus) has affected around 700 amphibian species worldwide and caused frog declines and even extinctions in many areas.
- Though first reported in frogs in South America in 1997, the killer fungus has also been recorded from the Ponmudi Hills of south Kerala in 2011.
Congo announces first death amid new ebola outbreak
- This is the ninth ebola outbreak in Congo since 1976, when the deadly disease was first identified.
- Ebola occasionally jumps to humans from animals, including bats and monkeys.
- There is no specific treatment for ebola, which is spread through the bodily fluids of people exhibiting symptoms.
World’s second oldest rock is from Odisha
- Scientists have found in the rock a grain of magmatic zircon (a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes) that is an estimated 4,240 million years old — a discovery of great promise to study the earth’s early years.
- The machine used is called Sensitive High Resolution Ion Microprobe (SHRIMP) in China. It is not available in India.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
China’s Alibaba buys Pakistan e-commerce firm Daraz
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba said it had purchased leading Pakistani online retailer Daraz, continuing its overseas expansion by gaining a foothold in the growing South Asian consumer market.
Futuristic telecommunications infrastructure (FTI) programme.
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) signed a Rs 945-crore deal with the Harris Corporation of the US for development of its futuristic telecommunications infrastructure (FTI) programme.
- The 15-year contract was signed at the sixth edition of the US-India aviation summit.
India’s clean energy capacity
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy said India’s installed clean energy capacity has already touched 70 GW and 38 GW is under implementation as per the data compiled till March 31.
- India is progressing fast in the areas of renewable energy and government is committed to meeting target of having 175 GW by 2022.
MOU’S, AGREEMENTS&CABINET APPROVALS
Amnesty-cum-rehab scheme for Maoists
- The State Cabinet on 09.05.2018 approved an amnesty-cum-rehabilitation scheme for Maoists in the State aimed at bringing people who have been swayed by the Left extreme ideology back to the mainstream society.
- Gujarat-Poland sign MoU on organising independence centenary events Ahmedabad.
- The department of youth and cultural affairs of the Gujarat government will be co-organisers for the centenary celebrations to mark independence of Poland in Delhi and other parts of the world.
SUMMITS & CONFERENCE
15th Asia Media Summit 2018
- Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad addresses the Plenary Session on ‘Media Regulation Policies: Ethics, Rules and Laws’, at the 15th Asia Media Summit 2018.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Tourism Ministers’ conference in China
- At the inaugural session the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology, Shri K.J.Alphons attended the Tourism Ministers’ conference by Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in Wuhan, China held on 9th May 2018.
6th US-India Aviation Summit
- 6th US-India Aviation Summit was formally inaugurated by Union Minister for Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu in Mumbai.
- The Summit is jointly organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation and US Trade and Development Agency (USTDA).
- This biennial summit is a technical, policy and commercial forum by the Indian Ministry of Civil Aviation and the US Trade and Development Agency.
First ever online selection of Airmen by the IAF
- IAF successfully conducted its first online selection test for airmen from 03 to 06 May 18.
- First ever Scheduled Test for Airmen Recruitment (STAR) was conducted successfully through computer based online tests.
Book Release By Chief of Army the Staff
- Gen Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army the Staff released the book ‘Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System’ by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, former Army Commander and Member ‘A’, Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench.
“Railway Minister’s Medal” for Bravery
- Shri Shivaji, Railway Protection Force Constable will be decorated with “Railway Minister’s Medal” for Bravery along with a cash award of Rs. 1 Lac.
- This award is given to member of the force who has either shown exceptional courage, skill or bravery exhibited conspicuous devotion to duty as a member of the Force.
South Western Railway bags Safety Shield pertaining to Train Operations for 2017-18
- During the year 2017-18, South Western Railway (SWR) has registered best figures & tremendous improvements in key areas of Safety pertaining to train operations among all Zonal Railways.
IAS officer Lokesh Chandra is appointed as Cidco VC and MD
- IAS officer, Lokesh Chandra, has been appointed as the new Cidco vice chairperson and managing director. Chandra replaces Bhushan Gagrani for this top post in Cidco.
APP & WEB PORTAL
- Yahoo has just entered the densely competitive market of messaging apps by releasing its own new group chat app named Squirrel.
11th men’s Test nation Ireland set for Test debut
- William Porterfield will captain Ireland in its inaugural Test match against Pakistan here at Dublin, Ireland.