city third in crime rate
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) statistics for the year 2016 ranked Chennai third in crime rate and second in crime incidence, including the IPC and Special and Local Laws (SLL) category.
26-week maternity leave for women contract employees
- In a significant verdict, the Kerala High Court has ruled that women contract employees working in government funded projects are entitled to 26 weeks of maternity leave as applicable to women employees under the service rules.
- The private multi-port operator, Adani Vizhinjam Port Private Ltd (AVPPL), tasked to build the superstructure and operate the country’s first international multi-purpose deepwater seaport project at Vizhinjam has approached Vizhinjam International Seaport Ltd. (VISL) for seeking more time for commissioning the Phase I.
One more flybus between Mysuru and KIAL
- Buoyed by the growing demand for the flybus service operating between Kempegowda International Airport Ltd. (KIAL) and Mysuru, the KSRTC will introduce one more bus from March 22, taking the total number on the route to seven.
No load-shedding this summer, says Minister
- Maintaining that the State had adequate power to handle the peak summer demand, Energy Minister D.K. Shivakumar said the State will not have load-shedding in the summer.
Andhra Pradesh :
State aims at world record in LED lighting programme
- Andhra Pradesh, which is leading the country with the installation of 9.19 lakh LED street lights in the urban and rural areas, is contemplating creating a world record by installing a total 30 lakh LED streetlights across the State.
Under fire, State treadsgingerly on Bhavanapadu
- The State government is all set to issue a fresh notification to acquire land for the construction of Bhavanapadu greenfield port in Srikakulam district.
Sehrai interim head of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat
- Tehreek-e-Hurriyat, headed by 87-year-old Syed Ali Geelani, announced that Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai (78) is the new chairman of the separatist amalgam, clearing the decks for a “smooth transition” of leadership.
Judge-appointee Indu Malhotra resumes practice
- Senior advocate Indu Malhotra, the first woman lawyer to be recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium for an apex court judgeship, has decided to resume her legal practice.
Taxman cometh for the military
- Reeling under an insufficient budgetary allocation for modernisation, the military has a new financial challenge: the Goods and Services Tax.
- A recent report of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence says the tax will result in an additional burden of ₹5,000 crore on the Army alone.
Rajasthan Police Plan
- The Rajasthan Police is exploring the possibility of using Aadhaar data for verifying the identity of criminals, suspects, complainants and missing persons in the state.
Wang Yi promoted as State Councillor
- China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi has been elevated to the post of State Councilor, signaling a revamp of China’s foreign policy establishment, which is likely to influence New Delhi-Beijing ties.
British teacher wins $1-million global best teacher award in UAE
- A British school teacher has won a $1-million Global Teacher Prize instituted by an Indian-origin entrepreneur’s foundation in the United Arab Emirates to honour an exceptional teacher who has made a significant contribution to the profession.
China unveils brand new cabinet to run revamped govt under Xi
- China appointed a whole new set of top officials, including a Defence Minister, to head a revamped government, days after President Xi Jinping began his second five-year tenure following the removal of the two-term limit.
- The new line-up approved by the National People’s Congress includes four Vice-Premiers – Han Zheng, Sun Chunlan, Hu Chunhua and Liu He.
Sony India appoints Sunil Nayyar as MD
- Sony India announced the appointment of Sunil Nayyar as its Managing Director (MD) in place of Kenichiro Hibi, who will move to head the Japanese consumer electronics giant’s operations in Brazil, from April 1.
India exports 8.22 MT finished steel in Apr-Jan FY18
- The government said that 8.22 million tonnes of finished steel was exported during April-January of 2017-18.
- As against exports, the imports were lower at 6.45 MT during the said period, Minister of State for Steel Vishnu Deo Sai said in a reply to the Lok Sabha.
Rupee weakens 9 paise in opening trade
- The rupee depreciated by 9 paise against the US dollar to 65.03 against in opening trade today as the greenback firmed up ahead of US Federal Reserve’s policy meet this week.
Ronaldo scorches Girona
- Cristiano Ronaldo continued his scorching scoring run by bagging four goals in Real Madrid’s hugely entertaining 6-3 La Liga win over Girona.
- Ronaldo has now netted 22 times in the league this season, trailing Lionel Messi by just three goals.