Neutrino project gets environmental nod
- The India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO) project has got a fresh lease of life with the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) taking it up as a special case and granting it environmental clearance to set up the lab in Bodi West hills
T.T.V. Dhinakaran launches Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam
- Sidelined AIADMK leader and R.K. Nagar MLA T.T.V. Dhinakaran on March 15 announced his new political party – Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam (AMMK). Mr. Dhinakaran said the new party was launched to ”retrieve” the ‘Two Leaves’ symbol and the AIADMK from the hands of ‘betrayers’.
Highlights of Tamil Nadu budget
- Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, O. Panneerselvam, also handling finance portfolio, presented the State budget 2018-19 in the Assembly March 15.
Syllabus decided by Centre
- Tamil Nadu is only following what has been prescribed by the Central authorities — National Council of Vocational Training (NCVT) and the Directorate General of Training (DGT) – with regard to the syllabus, text books and examinations. “While designing the curriculum, the Central authorities do consult us with regard to requirements of local industry,” Ms. Nirmalasamy says.
Rain likely in south T.N. for two more days
- Rain is likely to continue for two more days in south Tamil Nadu owing to the depression over the southeast Arabian Sea. Described as a rare phenomenon in March, the depression brought widespread rainfall over many places in the southern parts of the State
Youth welfare board awards declared
- The State Youth Welfare Board has declared the Swami Vivekananda Yuva Prathibha Awards for the year 2017, given to youth who have proved their mettle in their chosen field.
IUML to broad-base its presence
- IUML national general secretary P.K. Kunhalikutty, MP, said the discussions would basically focus on the southern States. Apart from Kerala, the party has contested and won from Tamil Nadu. ‘‘We hope to play a role to ensure that secular votes are not divided,’’ he said while talking to media persons.
V.K. Gokak cultural hall opened in Haveri
- Jnanpith awardee V.K. Gokak enriched Kannada literature with his commendable works, Minister for Muzrai and Textile Rudrappa Lamani said in Haveri on March 15.
Sugar factories announce high procurement prices
- Some sugar factories in Belagavi, the largest sugar producing district in the State, have announced procurement prices between ₹3,000-₹3,200 per tonne for sugarcane, forcing other factories to up their prices.
Andhra Pradesh :
BSNL wants to cash in on woes of Aircel
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) hopes to make the most of the ‘sad end’ met with by the funds-starved private operator Aircel. The company hopes to get at least 10% of Aircel customers into its network through mobile portability.
School Safety Curriculum launched
- “The effort stands as the first of its kind in India to fulfil the norms of the National Disaster Management Authority’s school safety guidelines. It will make AP schools safe and protected. The government is committed to child protection and it is the right of the children to have a safe learning environment,” Human Resource Development Minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao said.
CBSE denies leak of Class 12 Accountancy paper
- The Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE) Class 12 Accountancy paper was allegedly leaked on Thursday ahead of the examination. Students alleged that a Whatsapp message doing the rounds since March 15 matched the Set –II of the paper.
- The CBSE, however, denied a leak of the paper. None of the seals of the paper packets have been tampered with, it said in a statement.
Modi to inaugurate Science Congress
- When Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the 105th edition of the Indian Science Congress here on March 15, he will be addressing an audience only half as strong that marks a typical Congress.
Finance Ministry declines 3% GDP allocation for defence
- The Finance Ministry has declined a recommendation from the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence to have a fixed allocation of 3% of GDP for the Defence Ministry, a report of the Committee has stated.
NGT notice to Uttarakhand over drying up of natural springs
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on March 15 sought responses from the Uttarakhand government and the National Biodiversity Authority after a plea alleged that the natural hot springs in the region were drying up.
Air India Twitter account hacked, restored
- Air India’s official Twitter account was hacked late last night and was restored on March 15, according to the airline. After many hours of being hacked, Air India said in the afternoon that the account had been restored.
Chemical attack: 4 nations slam Russia
- It is an assault on U.K. sovereignty and any such use by a state party is a clear violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention and a breach of international law. It threatens the security of all of us,” they said in a joint statement
U.S. challenges Indian export programmes at WTO
- Turning the heat further on India on trade issues, the United States has challenged India’s export subsidy programmes at the World Trade Organisation (WTO). The move comes close on the heels of a string of statements accusing India of “unfair” trade practices, by President Donald Trump. U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Robert Lighthizer said Washington has requested dispute settlement consultations with the Government of India at the WTO on the issue. Mr. Trump had threatened to raise duties on products from India.
Sri Lanka lifts Facebook ban after anti-Muslim violence ends
- Sri Lanka’s government on March 15 ended a week-long ban on social media that was imposed because of concerns that it was being used to fan anti-Muslim violence in the country’s central region.
N. Korean Minister visits Sweden
- North Korea’s Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho visited Sweden on March 15, the Swedish Foreign Ministry said, prompting speculation that the two-day trip could lay the groundwork for a mooted meeting between the leaders of the U.S. and North Korea.
Sensex extends losses, down 66 points; Nifty below 10,400
- Mumbai Market benchmark BSE Sensex extended losses for the third straight day by shedding over 66 points in early trade March 15 on selling by domestic institutional investors and foreign funds amid mixed Asian cues.
Trade deficit narrows to 5-month low
- India’s trade deficit narrowed to $12 billion in February, its lowest in five months, amid concerns that a global trade war could hit its exports because of U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to hike import taxes on steel and aluminum.
Rupee sheds 9 paise against US dollar
- The rupee depreciated 9 paise to 64.92 against the US dollar in opening trade on fresh demand for the greenback from importers and banks.
Infosys to open technology and innovation hub in Connecticut and create 1,000 jobs by 2022
- IT major Infosys said it will open its next Technology and Innovation Hub in Hartford, Connecticut and hire 1,000 American workers in the state by 2022.
- The Connecticut Technology and Innovation Hub will have a special focus on insurance, healthcare and manufacturing, the firm said in a statement
All England Championship: Sindhu, Prannoy enter quarters; Srikanth bows out
- Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu progressed to the quarter-finals of the All England Championship with a hard-fought win over Thailand’s Nitchaon Jindapol in women’s singles, in Birmingham.
Champions League PIX: Barcelona crush Chelsea; Bayern in quarters
- Lionel Messi scored two brilliant goals and created another for Ousmane Dembele as Barcelona thrashed Chelsea 3-0 on Wednesday to reach the Champions League quarter-finals 4-1 on aggregate .