International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict
- The International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict is observed annually on November 6.
- The International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict was established on November 5, 2001 by the United Nations General Assembly, during Kofi Atta Annan’s tenure as Secretary-General.
- Of this observance Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has since written, “We must use all of the tools at our disposal, from dialogue and mediation to preventive diplomacy, to keep the unsustainable exploitation of natural resources from fueling and financing armed conflict and destabilizing the fragile foundations of peace.” Various calendars found on the World Wide Web reference November 6th in abbreviated fashion as ‘World Day to Protect the Environment in War’.
Birth Anniversary Of James Naismith
- James Naismith was born on November 6, 1861.
- He was a Canadian and naturalized American sports coach and innovator.
- Naismith invented the sport of basketball in 1891.
- He is also said to have introduced the first football helmet.
- Naismith wrote the original basketball rulebook and started the University of Kansas basketball program. He lived to see basketball become an Olympic demonstration sport in 1904 and an official event at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin.
- He taught at the University of Kansas (KU) and was a part-time basketball coach from 1898 to 1907. He was also the Athletic Director for the Kansas Jayhawks, the sports teams at KU.
- Naismith has been made a member of the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame, the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame, the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame, the Ontario Sports Legends Hall of Fame, the Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame, the McGill University Sports Hall of Fame, the Kansas State Sports Hall of Fame and the FIBA Hall of Fame. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame was named after him.
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here
Telegram Channel Click Here