- 1895 – At the Swedish–Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after he dies.
- 1964 – Cold War : Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru has asked the United States and Russia to stop nuclear tests.
- 1971 – The Soviet space program’s Mars 2 orbiter releases a descent module. It malfunctions and crashes, but it is the first man-made object to reach the surface of Mars.
- 2001 – A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extra solar planet Osiris by the Hubble Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extra solar planet.
- 2006 – The House of Commons of Canada approves a motion introduced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper recognizing the Quebecois as a nation with in Canada.
- 1746 – Robert R.Livingston, American lawyer and politician, 1st United States Secretary for Foreign Affairs.
- 1903 – Lars Onsager, Norwegian-American chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate.
- 1960 – Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukrain economist and politician, 10th Prime Minister of Ukrain.
- 1870 – Juho Kusti Paasikivi, Finnish academic and politician, 7th President of Finland.
- 1874 – Chaim Weizman, Belarusian-Israel chemist and politician, 1st President of Israel.
- 1888 – Ganesh Vasudev Mavalankar, Indian activist and politician, 1st Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- 1811 – Andrew Meikle, Scottish engineer, designed the threshing machine.
- 1953 – Eugene O Neill, American playwright, Nobel Prize laureate.
- 2008 – V. P. Singh, Indian lawyer and politician, 7th Prime Minister of India.
To Know All Daily Events – Click Here