Important Event of March – 22
World Water Day
- World Water Day is an annual observance day on 22 March to highlight the importance of freshwater.
- It is also used to advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
- World Water Day is celebrated around the world with a variety of events and also to increase the awareness among the people about the importance, need and conservation of water.
- These can be educational, theatrical, musical or lobbying in nature. The day can also include campaigns to raise money for water projects.
- This day was first formally proposed in Agenda 21 of the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development in Rio de Janeiro.
- In December 1992, the United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/47/193 by which 22 March of each year was declared World Day for Water.
- In 1993, the first World Water Day was observed.
Theme for 2018
- UN-Water selects a theme for each year.The theme for 2018 is “Nature for Water” to encourage people to “look for the answer in nature”.For example, nature-based solutions could be implemented to reduce floods, droughts and water pollution and to protect ecosystems.
- The UN World Water Development Report is released each year around World Water Day.