Important Events Of March – 2
Sarojini Naidu Memorial Day
- Sarojini Naidu was born on 13 February 1879.
- She was a freedom fighter and poet of modern India.
- She was born in a Bengali Hindu family at Hyderabad and was educated in Chennai, London and Cambridge.
- She took part in the National Movement, became a follower of Gandhiji (Mahatma Gandhi) and fought for the attainment of Swaraj.
- She became the President of Indian National Congress and later she was appointed the Governor of the United Provinces, now Uttar Pradesh.
- Known as the ‘Nightingale of India’, she was also a noted poet.
- Her poetry includes children’s poems, nature poems, patriotic poems and poems of love and death.
- In 1905, her first collection of poems, named The Golden Threshold was published.
Death: She died on 2 March 1949.
Birth Anniversary Of R. P. Sethu Pillai
- R. P. Sethu Pillai was born on 2 March 1896.
- He was a Tamil scholar, writer and professor of Tamil at the University of Madras.
- After a brief career in politics (he was the Vice Chairman of the Tirunelveli Municipal Council), he became a teacher.
- During 1930-36, he taught at Annamalai University.
- In 1936, he became a senior lecturer at the Madras University.
- In 1946, he succeeded Prof. Vaiyapuri Pillai as the Reader of Tamil and the Head of the Tamil department in the University.
- He was a member of the Tamil advisory board for the Sahitya Akademi since its inception in 1954.
- He also wrote a number of books and articles in English. The most noted among them is his edition of Francis Whyte Ellis’ commentary of Tirukkural and Dravidian comparative vocabulary.
- In 2009, Sethu Pillai’s works were nationalised by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
Birth Anniversary Of Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan
- Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan was born on 2 March 1935.
- He was an Indian classical music violinist.
- He was awarded the prestigious “Padma Shri” title by the Indian government, Kalaimamani award, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award by the Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1993, and the Karnataka Isaignani award.
- He has also won Best Music Director awards for his background scores for films. He received the Sangeetha Kalasikhamaniaward given by “The Indian Fine Arts Society” in 1996.
- He also received the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Music Director for the film Thirumalai Thenkumari in 1970 and the Tamil Nadu State Film Honorary Award – Raja Sando Award in 2000.
Death: He died on 8 September 2008.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|