Important Events of March – 19
International Read To Me Day
- International Read to Me! Day is an international campaign aimed at encouraging children to remind adults in their village to read to them often.
- It was created as another essential cog in the literacy advocacy wheel.
- Change the dynamic and empower children to ask for more support, not just from their birth family but also from their community. Marking a day when kids can ask to be read to is a key part of this strategy.
- Promote, encourage and inspire reading activities within communities;
- And to showcase organisations who are passionate about improving the literacy standards of the children around them.
- To address the disparity between resources and where they are distributed, by supporting a book drive and sending the collected books to locations around the world to those who are looking for books.
- International Read To Me day was established by the Child Writes Foundation to encourage the growth and spread of adult literacy.
- It became clear that in countries throughout the world adult literacy is a problem, and many adults simply lack the ability to read even for pleasure.
- 1991 – Aleksandr Kokorin, Russian footballer
- 1993 – Mateusz Szwoch, Polish footballer
- 1993 – Hakim Ziyech, Moroccan footballer
- 1995 – Alexei Sintsov, Russian figure skater
- 1996 – Barbara Haas, Austrian tennis player
- 2015 – Safet Plakalo, Bosnian author and playwright (b. 1950)
- 2015 – Danny Schechter, American director, producer, and screenwriter (b. 1942)
- 2016 – Roger Agnelli, Brazilian banker and businessman (b. 1959)
- 2016 – Jack Mansell, English footballer and manager (b. 1927)
March 19 is the 78th day of the year (79th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 287 days remaining until the end of the year.