Important Events of March – 16
Birth Anniversary Of Richard Matthew Stallman
- Richard Matthew Stallman (born March 16, 1953), often known by his initials, rms—is an American free software movement activist and programmer.
- He campaigns for software to be distributed in a manner such that its users receive the freedoms to use, study, distribute and modify that software
- 1986: Honorary lifetime membership of the Chalmers University of Technology Computer Society.
- 1990: Exceptional merit award MacArthur Fellowship (“genius grant”)
- 1990: The Association for Computing Machinery’s Grace Murray Hopper Award “For pioneering work in the development of the extensible editor EMACS (Editing Macros)”
- 1996: Honorary doctorate from Sweden’s Royal Institute of Technology.
- 2012: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad César Vallejo de Trujillo, in Peru
- 2012: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad Latinoamericana Cima de Tacna, in Peru
- 2012: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad José Faustino Sanchez Carrió, in Peru
- 2014: Honorary doctorate, from Concordia University, in Montréal
- 2015: ACM Software System Award “For the development and leadership of GCC”
- 2016: Honorary doctorate, from Pierre and Marie Curie University
- 2016: Social Medicine award, from GNU Solidario.
- 1961 – Todd McFarlane, Canadian comic book artist and writer (Spider-Man, Spawn)
- 1967 – Lauren Graham, American actress (Gilmore Girls, Parenthood)
- 1991 – Wofgang Van Halen, son of Eddie Van Halen and his wife Valerie Bertinelli (he eventually becomes the bass player in Van Halen)
- 2003 – Ronald Ferguson, father of Sarah, Duchess of York (b. 1931)
- 2016 – Frank Sinatra, Jr., American singer, songwriter, conductor, and actor (b. 1944)