Important Events of March – 12
- Commonwealth Day is observed on the second Monday of March every year.
- It encourages individuals, communities and organisations to take pride in the Commonwealth identity and promote the shared values and principles of peace, democracy and equality.
- In 1958, Harold Macmillan announced in Parliament the renaming of Empire Day as Commonwealth Day.
- From Samoa to Canada, 53 countries unite under one flag to commemorate Commonwealth Dayunder the 2018 theme of ‘Towards a Common Future’.
- A variety of activities, events and seminars are being organised globally including the Commonwealth Day Service on Monday 12 March at Westminster Abbey in London.
- The Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters, is an organisation dedicated to the promotion of literature in the languages of India.
- It was constituted by the Government of India by a resolution passed on December 15, 1952.It was formally inaugurated on March 12, 1954.
- It is in Rabindra Bhavan near Mandi House in Delhi.
- The Sahitya Akademi organises national and regional workshops and seminars; provides research and travel grants to authors; publishes books and journals, including the Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature; and presents the annual Sahitya Akademi Award of Rs. 100,000 (approx. USD 1,500 (in year 2013)) in each of the 24 languages it supports, as well as the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship for lifetime achievement.
- The Sahitya Akademi Library is one of the largest multi-lingual libraries in India, with a rich collection of books on literature and allied subjects.
- It publishes two bimonthly literary journals:
- Indian Literature in English and
- Samkaleen Bharatiya Sahitya in Hindi.