International Day of Family Remittances
- The International Day of Family Remittances (IDFR) is a universally-recognized observance adopted by the United Nations General Assembly (A/RES/72/281) and celebrated every year on 16 June. Half of these flows go to rural areas, where poverty and hunger are concentrated, and where remittances count the most.
Chittaranjan Das Memorial Day
- Chittaranjan Das popularly called Deshbandhu (Friend of the Nation).
- He was born on 5 November 1869.
- He was a leading Indian politician, a prominent lawyer, an activist of the Indian National Movement and founder-leader of the Swaraj (Independence) Party in Bengal during British occupation in India.
- He was engaged in law-practice for a very long time but it was ultimately in 1909 that he rose to prominence for defending Sri Aurobindo Ghose, the famous nationalist leader of that time.
- He was a nationalist from the very beginning and became an active member of the Students’ Association at Presidency College, Kolkata. He was politically was active from 1917-1925.
- In 1924, Das became the first popularly elected mayor of Kolkata.
- He was died on 16 June 1925.