Important Events of January – 29
INDIAN NEWSPAPER DAY
January 29th is going to be observed every year as ‘Indian Newspaper Day,’ as per the summons of the Indian Newspaper Society. This is the day when the first newspaper was born and spun into print.
WORLD LEPROSY DAY
- World Leprosy Day is observed internationally every year on the last Sunday of January to increase the public awareness of the Leprosy or Hansen’s Disease.
- This day was chosen in commemoration of the death of Gandhi, the leader of India who understood the importance of leprosy.
- Leprosy is one of the oldest recorded diseases in the world. It is an infectious chronic disease that targets the nervous system, especially the nerves in the cooler parts of the body – the hands, feet, and face.
- On this day, organizations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) hold public and educational outreach events where they give people information about how to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Doctors and other medical professionals spend time talking to the public about how to recognize the symptoms of leprosy.