Important Events of February – 24
Central Excise Day
- Central Excise Day is celebrated every year all across the India on 24th of February.
- Central Excise Day is used to collect the Tax from the people by applying the Tax on the Goods and Services.
- It is utilised for the people to get some part of the money from the people to develop the Nation by making many infrastructure and developmental activities in India for the welfare of the citizens.
Importance of the Central Excise Day Celebration
- Central excise day in India is celebrated is due to encourage the equality among the officers of the Central Board of Excise and Customs Department.
- It is used to ensure that every people which are liable to pay tax have been observed.
- It is also used to celebrate to the Salt as well as Central Excise Act on the 24th February 1944.
- Central Excise Day is used to gather every information regarding the Taxation of the people in India. It is used to help the developmental activities to ensure better growth for the people of India.
- It is used to make the people to reside better in the Country for building a powerful tool to develop a better Nation.
Method of Celebration
- Central excise day is celebrated in India by organizing variety of theme based programmes, cultural events, workshops, awareness programs, competitions and seminars in various states of the country.
- At this day, an award ceremony is held to honor the sincerely and honestly working employees by rewarding them through the prize for paying their truthful service to the Government.
Birth Anniversary of Jayalalitha
- Jayaram Jayalalitha was born on 24 February 1948.
- She was an Indian actress and politician.
- She was the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu State from 24.06.1991 to 12.05.1996, from 14.05.2001 to 21.09.2001, from 02.03.2002 to May 2006 and from again 16.05.2011 onwards.
Early life & education
- She was educated at the Bishop Garden Girls’ High School in Bangalore and later at the Presentation Convent Church Park in Madras.
- On completion of Matriculation in 1964, she won a scholarship from the Government of India for higher studies but did not accept it as she took up a career in films in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, English and Malayalam.
- She is proficient in other dance-forms such as Mohini Attam, Kathak, Manipuri. She has given hundreds of performances in Bharatha Natyam all over India and has sung several songs herself in her films.
Jayalalithaa in Indian politics
- In 1982, Jayalalitha became a member of the AIADMK, a party founded by M.G. Ramachandran. It marked her entry into politics.
- Jayalalitha was the first lady to become the Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Assembly of Tamil Nadu.
- She created a history of sorts by becoming the first chief minister since 1989 to return to power for a second consecutive term.
- She took oath as the chief minister of Tamil Nadu for a record sixth time on 23 May 2016.
Awards and Honours
- In 1972, the Government of Tamil Nadu honoured her with the Kalaimamani Award.
- A degree of Doctor of Literature (D.Litt.) was conferred upon her by the University of Madras in 1991.
- A degree of Doctor of Science was conferred upon her by Dr. M.G.R. Medical University in 1992.
- A degree of Doctor of Letters was conferred upon her by Madurai Kamaraj University in 1993.
- A degree of Doctor of Science was given to her by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in 2003.
- The Golden Star of Honour and Dignity Award was conferred upon her in 2004 by the International Human Rights Defence Committee recognising her services in protecting the weaker section of society and in the field of gender equality in Tamil Nadu and India.
- In 2011, a resolution was passed by the New Jersey General Assembly to appreciate her exemplary excellence and dedication as a leader and in service to the people of Tamil Nadu.
Publications / Contributions:
- She has Written several articles in English and Tamil which have been published in various periodicals.
- Also Written four full length novels and several short stories in Tamil.
- Jayaram Jayalalitha died on December 5th, 2016.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|