Important Event of February – 2
World Wetlands Day
- World Wetlands Day occurs annually on February 2nd, marking the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on February 2, 1971.
- Established to raise awareness about the value of wetlands for humanity and the planet, WWD was celebrated for the first time in 1997 and has grown remarkably since then.
- Each year, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and groups of citizens at all levels of the community, have taken advantage of the opportunity to undertake actions aimed at raising public awareness of wetland values and benefits.
- Some of these benefits include: biologically diverse ecosystems that provide habitat for many species, serve as buffers on the coast against storms and flooding, and naturally filter water by breaking down or transforming harmful pollutants .
- Since 1998 the Ramsar Secretariat, with financial support from the Danone Group Evian Fund for Water, a variety of outreach materials which include logos, posters, factsheets, handouts and guide documents to support country activities organized to celebrate WWD, have been produced.
- These materials are available for free download on the World Wetlands Day website in the three languages of the Convention: English, French, and Spanish (www.worldwetlandsday.org).
- All the materials are also available in their design files for event organizers to customize and adapt them to their local languages and contexts.
- A few print copies are available to countries upon request to the Secretariat.
World Wetlands Day Themes :
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|