Important Event of February – 13
World Radio Day
- World Radio Day is an observance day held annually on 13 February.
- World Radio Day is about celebrating radio, why we love it and why we need it today more than ever.
- A day to remember the unique power of radio to touch lives and bring people together across every corner of the globe.
- It was proclaimed on 3 November 2011 by UNESCO’s 36th General Conference after originally being proposed by the Kingdom of Spain.
- UNESCO’s Executive Board approved the agenda item in its provisional agenda, for the proclamation of a “World Radio Day” on 29 September 2011.
- World Radio Day was thus unanimously proclaimed by all Member States of UNESCO in November 2011.
- In December 2012, The General Assembly of the UN endorsed the proclamation of World Radio Day, thereby becoming a Day to be celebrated by all UN agencies, funds and programmes and their partners.
- At UNESCO the consultation, proclamation and celebrations were handled by Mirta Lourenco, Chief of the Sector for Media Development.
The first World Radio Day
- In honour of the first edition of World Radio Day in 2012, Lifeline Energy, FrontlineSMS, SOAS Radio and Empowerhouse hosted a seminar in London.
- At the University of Pisa in Italy, a public event was held on 13 February 2012 to commemorate World Radio Day. The event was organized by Italradio and the Faculty of Engineering and Telecommunication.
- In 2012 in Barcelona, Spain, a public event organised by College of Telecommunications Engineers of Catalunya (COETTC) was held on 21 February 2012 to commemorate World Radio Day. The event was organized with the help of the Government of Catalonia.
World Radio Day 2017
Theme – “Radio is You”
- The theme “Radio is You” was chosen because radio is everything it is because of its listeners. The theme puts the spotlight on audiences, ensuring their views and diversity are represented on the airwaves.
- The theme is a chance to look at all of the different ways that radio engages audiences, not only on-air but through “listening to listeners” in the planning and policy of radio.
World Radio Day 2018
Theme – “Radio and Sports”
- Radio and Sports build and unite communities
- Radio and Sports inspire participation and inclusion
- Radio fosters goodwill and inspires humanity
- how radio impacts on our lives
International Radio Committee
- This Committee was born in 2012 after the proclamation of the UNESCO´s World Radio Day. The idea came from the president of the Spanish Radio Academy, Jorge Alvarez.
- This Committee is formed by the most important radio broadcast organitations:
ITU-International Telecommunication Union, Spanish Radio Academy, IAB-International Association of Broadcasting, ABU-Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union, ASBU-Arab States Broadcasting Union, EBU/UER-European Broadcasting Union, AER-Association of European Radios, AMARC-World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, AIBD-Asia Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development, BNNRC-Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication, URTI-International Radio and Television Union and AUB/UAR-The African Union of Broadcasting.
- The Founding Act was singed on March 12, 2012.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|