MAY 31 CURRENT AFFAIRS
31 May – World No Tobacco Day
2018 Theme – Tobacco and heart disease
- The Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar has promised that the centre would provide financial assistance worth Rs.6 Lakh for cochlear implant of all children with hearing impairment hailing from the economically weak sections of the Sikkimese society.
- The Minister of State for Tourism (Independent Charge), Shri. K. J. Alphons launched the Guidelines by the Government of India on Adventure Tourism in New Delhi.
- State bird – Rama Chiluka (psittacula krameri) or rose ringed parakeet
- State tree – Neem (azadirachta indica) or Vepa Chettu
- State animal – Jinka or spotted deer
- State flower – Jasmine
- The United States renamed its strategically important Pacific Command (PACOM) as the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command.
- The China Space Station (CSS), which is expected to be launched by 2019 and become operational by 2022, will be the world’s first space station open for cooperation with all U.N. member-states.
- India becomes the leading country in coconut production and productivity.
- The Government of India and the World Bank signed a $500 million loan agreement to provide additional financing for the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) Rural Roads Project.
- The First biannual IAF Commanders’ Conference of 2018 was inaugurated by Hon’ble Raksha Mantri at Air Headquarters (Vayu Bhawan).
- ‘Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR)’ propulsion based missile, the technology of nozzle less booster has been successfully demonstrated for the first time in the country from Chandipur, Orissa.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) – Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved the construction of another 1.5 lakh affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor.
Times Higher Education ranking
- 91-100 batch – The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru
[Only Indian institution to make it to the top 100 list this year]
- 1 – American universities Harvard, 2 – Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 3 – Stanford.
Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
- Shri Amit Khare – Secretary
Alicia Pucheta – First woman president of Paraguay
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will launch Samagra, an educational resource portal prepared by the Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE) for schoolteachers on May 31 2018.
- India’s “greatest” discus thrower Vikas Gowda, announces
- He had set the national record of 66.28 metre.