MAY 14 CURRENT AFFAIRS
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will soon set up a skill development centre at ‘Bharosa,'(Telangana) an integrated support centre for distressed women and children here.
- The State Archaeology Department is in the process of classifying more than 12,000 artefacts found at Azhangakulam in Ramanathapuram district and will send them for carbon dating.
- Election Commission will introduce Electronically Transmitted Postal Ballot System (ETPBS) for service voters in several States in the Chengannur (Kerala) Assembly by poll.
- ‘Sakhi’ booths (fully managed by women officers) set up for the first time in an election in
- The second bird census of the season at Ranganathittu bird sanctuary, Karnataka.
- (retd.) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore – New Minister of State with independent charge of the Ministry.
- Ministry of Finance to Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
- Australian climber Steve Plain scaled 8,850-metre (29,035-foot) Everest 117 days after beginning his mission in Antarctica completing his quest to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents.
- Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli announced to host the 2018 Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit.
- Army has finalised a mega 15,000-crore project under which a range of ammunition for its critical weapons and tanks will be produced indigenously to overcome long delays in imports.
- Samarth – Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector under the Skill India Mission was held in New Delhi to familiarize the stakeholders about the scheme and its guidelines.
- To boost clean energy generation, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) unveiled a National Wind-solar Hybrid Policy that which seeks to promote new projects as well as hybridisation of the existing ones.
- The Centre notified that Wholesale Price Index (WPI)-based inflation stood at 3.18 percent in the month of April 2018.
- Celebrated wildlife photographer, biologist, conservationist and author Latika Nath unveiled her book titled “Hidden India”.
- The first edition of the International Children’s Film Festival of Kerala will get underway here from 14.05.2018, with over 140 films, documentaries and short films set to be screened.
- Roger Federer replaced Rafael Nadal at the top in the latest ATP rankings released on 14.05.2018.
- Simona Halep will remain World No 1.
- The Indian U-16 football team was crowned champions at the Four-Nation Tournament held in Serbia after they defeated Tajikistan 4-2 in the summit clash on 13.05.2018.