Daily Current Affairs – May 16, 2019
May 16 – International Day of Living Together in Peace
- The UN General-Assembly, declared 16 May the International Day of Living Together in Peace, as a means of regularly mobilizing the efforts of the international community to promote peace, tolerance, inclusion, understanding and solidarity.
- The Day aims to uphold the desire to live and act together, united in differences and diversity, in order to build a sustainable world of peace, solidarity and harmony.
May 16 – International Day of Light
- The International Day of Light is celebrated on 16 May each year, the anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer, Theodore Maiman. This day is a call to strengthen scientific cooperation and harness its potential to foster peace and sustainable development.
Arunachal has 35 % of India’s graphite deposits, says GSI
- The Geological Survey of India, GSI, has revealed that 35 per cent the country’s Graphite deposits of the country is found in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The GSI presented the data during its annual interactive meeting with the Department of Geology and Mining and Government of Arunachal Pradesh in Itanagar.
China blocks all language editions of Wikipedia
- China has broadened its block of online encyclopedia Wikipedia to include all language editions.
- According to a report by the Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI), China started blocking all language editions of Wikipedia last month.
Austria approves headscarf ban in primary schools
- Austria has approved a law aimed at banning the headscarf in primary schools. However, patka head covering worn by Sikh boys or the Jewish kippa would not be affected, says the government.
Trump to propose merit-based immigration policy
- US President Donald Trump is all set to announce a new proposal to overhaul the immigration policy that would give preference to foreigners based on merit rather than preference to family ties.
- The move could end the agonising Green Card wait for hundreds and thousands of Indian professionals.
US, France join UAE probe into sabotage of ships
- US and France join UAE in the investigation of sabotage of commercial ships. The US and France are assisting the UAE in its investigations into the sabotage attack on four commercial cargo ships in the Sea of Oman.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s overall exports registered positive growth of 1.34% in April this year
- India’s overall exports, combining Merchandise and Services, in April this year is estimated to be around 44 billion US dollars with a positive growth of 1.34 per cent over the April last year.
Vision document for e-payment system
- Reserve Bank of India has released a vision document for ensuring a safe, secure, convenient, quick and affordable e-payment system.
- The move comes as the apex bank expects the number of digital transactions to increase more than four times to 8,707 crore in December 2021.
- RBI released the ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021’, with its core theme of ‘Empowering Exceptional E-payment Experience’, envisages to achieve “a highly digital and cash-lite society” through the goal posts of competition, cost-effectiveness, convenience and confidence (4Cs).
MOU, AGREEMENTS & CABINET APPROVALS
MoU signed for Plantation of Rudraksh Trees in Uttarakhand
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between National Mission for Clean Ganga, HCL Foundation and INTACH for taking up a project of Plantation of Rudraksh Trees in Uttarakhand as a part of CSR initiative under the Namami Gange Programme.
CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) International awards 2019
- Virat Kohli – International Cricketer and Batsman of the Year award
- Smriti Mandana – International Women Cricketer of the Year
- Jasprit Bumrah – International Bowler of the Year
- Cheteshwar Pujara – International Test Cricketer of the Year
- Rohit Sharma – International ODI Cricketer of the Year
- Aaron Finch – International T20 Player of the Year
- Rashid Khan – International T20 Bowler of the Year
- Yashasvi Jaiswal – Junior Cricketer of the Year
- Kuldeep Yadav – Outstanding performance of the year award
- Ashutosh Aman – Domestic Cricketer of the Year
- Mohinder Amarnath – ‘CCR International Lifetime Achievement Award’
Daily Current Affairs – May 16, 2019video – Click Here
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here