Daily Current Affairs – June 13, 2019
June 13 – International Albinism Awareness Day
- On 18 December 2014, the General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/69/170 proclaiming, with effect from 2015, 13 June as International Albinism Awareness Day. The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a resolution in 2013 calling for the prevention of attacks and discrimination against persons with albinism.
- Albinism Awareness Day 2019 Theme – “Still Standing Strong”
Jammu and Kashmir
Extension of President’s rule in J&K for another six months
- The Cabinet has approved extension of President’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir for six months with effect from 3rd of next month. The present term of President’s rule is expiring on 2nd July and the Governor has recommended that the President’s rule in the state may be extended for a further period of six months. The extension has been approved based on the prevailing situation in the state.
Science & Technology
DRDO launches Technology Demonstrator Vehicle
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) launched a Technology Demonstrator Vehicle to prove a number of critical technologies for futuristic missions from Dr Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha. Various radars, telemetry stations and electro optical tracking sensors tracked the vehicle through its course. The data has been collected and will be analysed to validate the critical technologies.
Maritime Information Sharing Workshop 2019
- A Defence Ministry release said that over 41 delegates from 29 countries of the Indian Ocean Region, IOR and beyond are participating in the two-day event. In the course of two days, the MISW aims to acquaint participants about Information Fusion Centre-Indian Ocean Region, IFC-IOR, its information sharing mechanisms and promote sharing of best practices in this field.\
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has left for Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan this morning to attend the meeting of Council of Heads of States of Shanghai Cooperation Organization -SCO. Important issues including global security situation, multilateral economic cooperation, people-to-people exchanges and topical issues of international and regional importance will be discussed during the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Summit. Afghanistan will also be one of the focus areas in the summit.
“12th Conference of States Parties to Convention to Rights of PwDs”
- Mrs Shakuntala Doley Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment participated in “12th Conference of States Parties to the Convention to Rights of Persons with Disabilities” at the UN Headquarters, New York.
- She informed the international community that India is fully committed to the implementation of UNCRPD and SDGs.The main focus of India has been to create accessibility, provide aids and appliances and rehabilitation services to meet psychosocial challenges, and finding IT solutions to make the lives of Divyangjans more simple and satisfying.
16th Asia media summit
- The 16th Asia media summit that kicked-off in Cambodia is deliberating on many issues pertaining to the media and broadcasting industry. The plenary discussed on the current situations in developing markets as to adapt to the new technological possibilities
Japan to invest Rs 13,000 cr in Northeast
- The Government of Japan has decided to invest an amount of 205.784 billion Yen, equivalent to approximately Rs.13,000 crore, in several ongoing as well as new projects in different states of India’s North- Eastern region.This was disclosed after a meeting which the DoNER Minister Dr Jitendra Singh had with the Japanese delegation led by Ambassador Mr Kenji Hiramatsu.
MoU & Cabinet Approvals
Union Cabinet approves MoC between India and Kyrgyzstan
- The Union Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Collaboration, MoC between India and Kyrgyzstan for collaborative research work on High Altitude Biology and Medicine. The MoC will help in understanding the physical and mental picture of soldiers at high altitude and mitigate the related maladies by using Yoga practice, herbals and neutraceuticals.
Memorandum of Understanding between India and Bolivia
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation between India and Bolivia on cooperation regarding Bioceanic Railway Integration Corridor Project. The MoU will facilitate exchange of information, expert meetings, seminars, technical visits and implementation of jointly agreed cooperation projects.
Memorandum of Understanding between India and Thailand
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation between India and Thailand in the field of Astronomy / Astrophysics / Atmospheric ScienceThe MoU will lead to new scientific results, human resource development through increased scientific interaction and training, joint use of scientific infrastructure etc.
Memorandum of Understanding between India and Russia
- The Union Cabinet was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation between Research Designs and Standards Organisation, under the Ministry of Railways, India and Railway Research Institute, Russia and Research and Design Institute for Information Technology, Signalling and Telecommunication on Railway Transport, Russia.The MoU will facilitate exchange of information, expert meetings, seminars, technical visits and implementation of jointly agreed cooperation projects.
Memorandum of Understanding between India and Finland
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation in the area of Cyber Security between India and Finland. The MoU intends to promote closer cooperation for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of security related incidents between India and Finland.
Cabinet approves the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019 by replacing the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Second Ordinance, 2019 (Ord.4 of 2019).
- The Bill would ensure gender equality and gender justice to Muslim women. The Bill would also help in protecting the rights of married Muslim women and prevent divorce by practice of ‘talaq-e-biddat’ by their husbands.
Cabinet approves the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved to introduce a Bill, namely, the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Bill, 2019 that is the Bill to replace the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019 (12 of 2019). After the amendment of sub-section (v) of section 2 of the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005, a trust or any entity notified by the Central Government will be eligible to be considered for grant of permission to set up a unit in Special Economic Zones.
New president of Kazakhstan
- In Kazakhstan, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev today took oath as the new president of the country. He was acting president following the surprise resignation of Nursultan Nazarbayev in March this year. The career diplomat became the country’s second elected president after succeeding 78-year-old Nursultan Nazarbayev.
China appoints veteran diplomat Sun Weidong as new envoy to India
- China has appointed veteran diplomat Sun Weidong as its new envoy to India. Mr Sun, who also served as the ambassador to Pakistan, is currently the Director General of the Policy and Planning Department of the Foreign Ministry. He will succeed Luo Zhaohui, who has been appointed as Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- Noted English writer Amitav Ghosh was conferred the 54th Jnanpith award for the year2018. The award was given for his outstanding contribution in English. Former Governor of West Bengal Gopalkrishna Gandhi presented the award to Mr Ghosh at a function in New Delhi. Mr.Ghosh is the first English writer to get this award.
App & Web Portal
‘E-Governance Initiatives for ST Welfare Schemes’
- Shri Arjun Munda, Union Minister for Tribal Affairs launched the “e-governance initiatives for ST Welfare schemes” at a function organized by Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs has developed online portals namely DBT Tribal (https://dbttribal.gov.in/) and NGO Grants Online Application & Tracking System (https://ngograntsmota.gov.in/) for bringing in greater e-Governance in implementation of welfare schemes for STs.
Indian men’s archery team secure Olympic quota
- Indian men’s archery team secured the Olympic quota for the 2020 Tokyo Games by storming into the quarterfinals of the World Championships with a 5-3 win over Canada in the Netherlands. This is for the first time after 2012 London Olympics that Indian men could secure a team quota.
Senior Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championship
- Gymnastics Federation of India announced the Indian team for the Senior Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships to be held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia from 19th to 22nd of this month.
- The four men’s team comprises Rakesh Kumar Patra, Yogeshwar Singh, Debang Dey and Arik Dey. Pranati Nayak, Shraddha Talekar, Pranati Das and Papiya Das are in the women’s team.
To Follow Channel – Click Here
For WhatsAPP Group – Click Here
Telegram Channel Click Here